Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Valentine's Cake Pops






I miss the simplicity of Valentine's Day back in the day...cheesy little cartoon valentines and candy all around, and everyone in your class was happy. Valentine's Day for grownups is all "did you get reservations at the best restaurant in town" and "what expensive new piece of jewelry did you get", when I'm like "can I just get some valentine's colored m&ms over here?!" This year I decided to throwback and make Valentine's treats to take into the office for my co-workers. I  made red velvet cake pops over the weekend and really enjoyed making a fun little treat I wouldn't ever make for just Caleb and me. And who can resist those adorable little heart sprinkles?! 

If you're intimidated by the idea of making your own cake pops, don't be! This was only my second time making cake pops; they really aren't as complicated as they seem! You can read my cake pops for beginners tips here. I've followed these tips both times and have not had any troubles. This time I used a red velvet cake mix and cream cheese frosting. To make the heart cake pops, form the cake/frosting mixture into a thick hamburger-like patty. Using a small heart cookie cutter, cut out the center, making sure it's still thick enough to insert the lollipop stick in. 

P.S. If you want a fancy pants Valentine's day treat, try this red velvet cheesecake!

6 comments:

  1. First of all, these look a-maz-ing! You are soo good at making these.
    Secondly, I love that you showered your work with genuine love. You're inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these! I have never made cake pops before, honestly because they intimidate me. But yours are beautiful! You've inspired me to think about trying them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you be my valentine? Please? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my word why can't i work with you! these look amazing - you are seriously talented lady! yes and yes to the lower key and chocolate centric view of valentine's day. that is what i'm talking about! this will be the first time brian and i spend the holiday together and we never go out for it when we do celebrate so i asked him to take me out this year...to a tiny italian mom and pop place in brooklyn that no one goes to but has the most insane penne alla vodka in the world. so no new york times reviews. no four stars. no hipsters. no crowds. just me and a hot bowl of penne alla vokda. and brian, of course :) i can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh yum! Happy Valentine's Day my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. those cheesy cartoon valentine's are my favorite kind! I refuse to get all fancy and homemade when my daughter is thrilled with Cinderella :) But cakepops - now those are worth the work! They look delish!

    ReplyDelete