Thursday, August 11, 2011

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Banana Bread


I've made a number of banana breads in my life, but never had I tried a chocolate banana bread.  Not until this week.  I wondered if the chocolate would overpower the bananas, but it didn't.  This bread is moist and perfectly blends the chocolate and banana together.  A new favorite banana bread for sure!


Chocolate Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
2 cups flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 stick (8 Tbsp) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
2 ripe bananas, mashed
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.

Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment (or hand mixer in large bowl), beat the butter at medium speed until soft, about 1 minute.  Add the sugar and brown sugar and beat another 2 minutes.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating a minute after each addition.  Reduce the mixer speed to low and mix in the mashed bananas.  Add the dry ingredients in three additions, mixing only until they disappear into the batter.  Still on low, add the buttermilk, mixing until incorporated.  Stir in the chocolate chips.

Pour batter into buttered 9x5 loaf pan and place on insulated baking sheet or two regular baking sheets on top of each other.  This will keep the bottom of the bread from over-baking.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Cover the bread loosely with a foil tent and bake another 40-50 minutes (total baking time is 70-80 minutes), or until knife inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.  Cool pan on cooling rack for at least 20 minutes before running a knife around the edges of the bread and unmolding it.  Invert and cool to room temperature right side up.

source:  recipe from joy the baker, from Baking: From My Home to Yours


Other favorite banana breads:
Banana Zucchini Bread
Best Banana Bread
Caramel Pecan Banana Bread

linking up with this chick cooksdelectable tuesdaytasty tuesday partyfull plate thursday

31 comments:

  1. I have tried putting chocolate chips in my banana bread but never making it chocolate. This sound delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh hello!!! This is like the perfect virtual morning slice of heaven. Great pictures Sherri!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having a slice of nutella banana bread as I read this. :) I love banana bread, have yet to make a full out chocolate loaf!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, chocolate chips AND bananas? I could get away with eating dessert for breakfast every morning!! :) YES!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Just when I thought banana bread couldn't get any more delicious :)

    ♥ Cat brideblu

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love banana bread and always wanted to add chocolate chips but had the same worries about it overpowering, so i will definitely use this. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds amazing!!! I LOVE banana bread and I love chocolate too. What a perfect combo. Thx for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh wow! yum!! i bet this is awesome. i love banana bread :)

    Sam @ fitness food & faith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Banana bread and chocolate! Mind,is.blown. I need some ASAP. Just mail that on over, k?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks delicious! Thank you for the recipe, definitely trying it :)

    Lots of love,
    simplycamylla.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay I could definately do this for breakfast:D:D:D
    I actually just ate last nights dessert right after breakfast so this would make me feel a little better;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like a perfect combo...chocolate and banana!

    ReplyDelete
  13. holy cow. this sounds amazing.
    i'm going to try this!!
    thanks for sharing!

    ♥elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  14. Serious question....when do you find all the time to bake these awesome recipes? Just curious :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmmm...interesting I have never heard of a chocolate banana bread but yet it makes total sense!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Please, fed ex me a loaf ; )

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love chocolate and bananas - especially combined!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks too good for words! Nothing with chocolate can ever be bad! xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. this looks super YUM! I was cravvvvving chocolate ANYTHING last night, this would have been perfect!
    xox dana
    thewonderforest.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks so good!
    I really must try it :D
    Xoxo
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yummy. That looks amazing. I've always talked about making this. Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  22. YUM!! I think this must be heavenly...it's two perfect flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  23. hi! This looks amazing! I would love for you to come over and link up to my Tasty Tuesday Party...
    http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/
    Hope to see you and your tasty goodness next week.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think I could convert the non-banana bread likers with this recipe...how yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Sherri Lynn,
    It is great to meet you! Your Chocolate Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is just awesome. It looks so delicious, we can't wait to try it. Hope you are having a great week end and thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    See you soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  26. this looks incredible! Thanks for linking to Tasty Tuesday.
    http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete