Monday, May 30, 2011

Caramel Pecan Banana Bread

It's day 3 of our stay at the beach, and we are so relaxed.  Wake up, eat, lay on the beach, take a dip in the pool, eat, lay on the beach, get in the hot tub, eat, read, talk, eat, sleep.  Seriously - this is the life.  Caleb and I have had a couple of hard weeks with work and other things, so it's been great to get away from it all and just enjoy ourselves.  As much as I love cooking, it is nice to have those hours of my day free again!  I had asked my mother-in-law if she wanted me to cook anything ahead of time to bring, and all she wanted was this bread.

caramel & pecan topped banana bread
Caramel Pecan Banana Bread
2 cups flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 ripe large bananas
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/3 cup vanilla yogurt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup chopped pecans
half a package (5.5 oz package) Werther's chewy caramels, chopped

In large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  In medium bowl, mash the bananas.  Add the eggs, melted butter, yogurt, and vanilla and combine well.  Lightly fold the wet ingredients into the dry mixture until just combined.  Don't overmix.

batter topped with pecans and caramels
Pour batter into greased 9-inch loaf pan.  Sprinkle the chopped caramels and chopped pecans over the top of the batter.  Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes until bread is golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.

source:  recipe adapted from joy of baking

7 comments:

  1. Jealous of your beach time! This bread looks awesome...I've never made any type of bread but maybe I should give it a shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice to have a relaxing time at the beach! That bread looks wonderful. I'd never heard of banana bread with caramel. Yummy! I wanted to invite you to share your bread or any recipe you'd like at These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight. I post it every Wednesday but last week's link is still open if you feel like sharing now. Enjoy the rest of your beach time!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that sounds so good!! Enjoy the beach, I'm super envious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally understand why your mother in law requested this banana bread. Caramel and pecans? I would have requested it too! Enjoy your stay at the beach! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM!! It looks delicious!! Hope y'all are having a great time. I love y'alls header pictures...so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delightful and yummy!
    Thanks for sharing, you're wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks delicious! Glad you a had a good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete