Tuesday, February 11, 2014

DIY Vanilla Salt




If you're looking for a little something to bring your baked goods up a notch, try making your own vanilla salt! It's super easy to make: just scrape the vanilla seeds out of a vanilla bean pod and mix it together with flaky sea salt. You can use it in place of sea salt in recipes, and it adds a nice touch of vanilla flavor on top of the sweet + salty combo. This past weekend I made break + bake cookies (just keepin' it real... not everything can be made from scratch), and I sprinkled a little vanilla salt on top of the dough before I put them in the oven. Added a nice little touch of fancy to those Nestlé cookies :) Here are a few more recipes that would be delicious with vanilla salt:






source: vanilla salt recipe from joy the baker

6 comments:

  1. awesome idea (and so easy!) also, on monday i made your salad that you posted last week or two weeks ago (at least a variation of it). we took leftover roast chicken and bacon from the weekend's dinner and breakfast, cut them up, threw it together with romaine and balsamic vinaigrette (i wanted to add an avocado but the one we bought wasn't ripe enough). it was AMAZING and so simple and easy on a monday night. never had to turn on the oven! thank you so much for this idea, i am planning on making it a regular thing from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you liked the salad! It's such a good base to mix and match with whatever ingredients you have on hand. It's going to be a regular item on our weekly menus, as well!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for giving me some of this! I used it to make candied almonds the other night, a nice addition to a salad. It added a good taste of flavor, I just goofed and burnt the sugar, so couldn't serve them, but I'm going to try it again and use the salt more generously the next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using it on candied nuts is such a good idea! I love making spiced pecans to throw on top of salads, so next time I match a batch I'll have to sprinkle in some vanilla salt, too!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing...now I am in the mood for baking!

    ReplyDelete