Friday, November 22, 2013

Sweet Potato Casserole


Thanksgiving is in just a few days, and I can't wait! It will be so nice to spend time with our families, and I'm also pretty excited to fill my belly with Thanksgiving dinner:) My favorite dish has always been stuffing, but in the last several years my second favorite has become sweet potato casserole. Everyone makes it a little differently, but below is the version I make. I like what the little bit of orange juice adds: a nice fresh, citrusy taste. Hope you have a great weekend!

Sweet Potato Casserole
2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 Tbsp orange juice
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp salted butter, cubed

for the topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup salted butter, melted
1 cup chopped pecans

Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large saucepan cook sweet potatoes in salted water over medium-high heat for about 20 minutes, or until done. Drain potatoes and place in the bowl of an electric stand mixer. Add orange juice, brown sugar, and butter, and whip until smooth. Spread into an 8x8" baking dish.

Mix topping ingredients together and spread over the sweet potatoes. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Serves 8.

P.S. Need pie recipes for Thanksgiving? Black Bottom Pumpkin PiePecan Pie, & Apple-Sour Cream Crumb Pie

1 comment:

  1. This looks so good! I've never had it with orange juice before, but I bet it's great!

    ReplyDelete