Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Reading, Lately





I've made a little progress with my reading list for 2013 by finishing Les Misérables. I usually have a tough time getting into classics, but this one was really easy to read. I love the story but had never read the book, so I was glad to be able to read more details and immerse myself more fully into the story. Three other books that I've read this year and have really loved: Full DisclosureThe Lost WifeThe Last Runaway. All three books are very different, one is a mystery set in modern day, one is the heartbreaking story of a young couple during World War II, and the other is about a young Quaker who moves to America and begins helping slaves along the Underground Railroad. I'd highly recommend any of them. What have you been reading lately?

6 comments:

  1. I am too embarrassed to tell you what I am reading right now after you've listed these sophisticated books lol

    I will say that my boots arrived yesterday afternoon. I plan on wearing them even though it isn't raining lol Thank for the tip and letting me be a copy cat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently read The Great Gatsby and really liked it. So Les Miserables is easy to read? I thought about giving it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice - les mis is definitely on my permanent list of - i should read this. the book i'm reading right now is the eighty dollar champion. it's about a horse - i like it but i haven't been the best at craving out time to read it. perhaps this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished Kisses from Katie, which I am sure you have heard of. It took me a few weeks, but you could probably finish it in a weekend. I really enjoyed it because I could relate to Katie in a lot of it. Her calling to move to Uganda, start a ministry, and adopt orphaned girls is completely different from my new calling, but I couldn't agree with more with her heart and things she said. A few of my favorite lines...

    "Jesus called His followers to be a lot of things, but I have yet to find where He warned us to be safe."

    "He had given me a new place to live and a new adventure to embrace. How could I say no?" (This one struck me the most. I don't always understand why God has called me to go, but I know that he has and I can't say no).

    "...I must obey and be faithful only to what He has asked of me, even when tangible, earthly results or successes are not seen."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your reading recommendations! The book The Lost Wife sounds interesting. I've been reading a couple of books on motherhood (both fiction) and it's so interesting to read about other people's experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always wanted to read Les Miz! Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete