Friday, February 8, 2013

Chinese New Year In a Box




Happy Chinese New Year! Sunday is Chinese New Year so this weekend marks the beginning of the Spring Festival celebration. My family lived in China for several years while I was growing up, so Chinese New Year has been something we've celebrated for years. Caleb and I will get Chinese food to celebrate, but I wanted to send my parents a little something to remind them of our time in China. Mailing an authentic New Year's feast was out of the question, so instead I went to the Asian market and gathered a few of our favorite snacks and candies from our time in China. A little New Year's garland and some hong bao (envelopes used to give money to small children--just enough for all of the grandchildren:) completed the box and I shipped it off. Hope you have a wonderful weekend filled with Chinese food to celebrate the Year of the Snake! 

6 comments:

  1. This is so thoughtful!! I want to do something similar for my friends + family.

    And how cool is it that you lived in China for awhile? Wow, I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Chinese New Year, almost! I love that you sent your parents a care package filled with fun little googies. Maybe this will be a good excuse for us to order Chinese food ;) Hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea :) What a sweet gift for your parents! I'm sure they will love having some memories from your time in China. I also love that you celebrate the Chinese New Year every year. I love that you can acquire new traditions in the places you live in life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love the idea, too!! Xie Xie, Xueli!! We are most likely having a Chinese meal to celebrate, as well, but sure would be more fun if it was with you guys! Love you! And Xin NIan Kuai Le!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea!my kids love those panda snacks and the pocky sticks, they always bring them for snack:) we celebrated the Chinese New Year in class today, and I even wore a Korean hanbok. And Jonathan & I are eating CHinese food tonight. Enjoy your celebration1

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a cool way to continue to celebrate the holiday (and a fun package to receive!) and what a cool experience to have.

    ReplyDelete