Friday, October 14, 2011

Guest Post: Quinoa with Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Leeks

Today I have Tamar from Random-osity posting for me!  Tamar's blog is full of gorgeous pictures that she takes, and she always has funny stories about something a kid from camp or from her class has said.  Tamar is sharing a delicious quinoa recipe today.  Be sure to stop by her blog and say hi!



Quinoa...kinwa...quinwa.  No matter how you say it, this ancient Aztec grain is all the rage.  I was super skeptical a few years ago, but right around that time I happened to go gluten-free and quinoa fit the GF bill.  At first I was just fixing plain quinoa here and there, and then I began to experiment and search for recipes on the interwebs. Essentially, quinoa can replace rice or couscous in pretty much every recipe, it takes on flavors, it can have a bite, it can be soft, it can be savory, it can be sweet.  Basically put, it's versatile and fun! 

So, when I saw a version of this recipe for Quinoa with Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Leeks on The Gluten-Free Goddess' website I knew I had to try it, with a few of my own tweaks for the types of flavors I liked.  It is a super recipe, and was super easy to assemble.  While I had the leeks, almonds, and brussel sprouts roasting in the oven I had the quinoa cooking away on the stove.


For the quinoa:

-- 1 cup quinoa

-- 2 cups water

-- salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dried herbs of your choice to flavor the water (it makes such a difference!)


Boil according to your package directions - don't over cook, you want a slight bite in the quinoa!


For the veggies:

- 1 leek, washed and sliced

- 1lb brussel sprouts, quarted

- 1/4 cup sliced almonds

- olive oil to coat

- salt, pepper, garlic powder, and italian seasonings to taste


Toss in a roasting pan and bake in a 450º oven until tender and beginning to caramelize.  It took mine about 30-40 minutes, but I like mine really caramelized and tender!


When veggies are finished, remove from the oven and let cool slightly.  Fluff quinoa with a fork and add to pan of quinoa.  And here's the special Tamar addition, drizzle maple syrup over the veggies and quinoa and then add salt and pepper to taste.  This can easily serve 4-6 people, depending on how much quinoa you like to eat!


This may be my new favorite fall quinoa recipe!  My recommendation for cooking with quinoa is to experiment and have fun, the possibilities are endless and nutritious!

11 comments:

  1. You take the ingredients that I would naturally avoid in the grocery store and make them look completely delish!? Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for this opportunity, Sherri Lynn! have a fab weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks amazing! I just bought some quinoa and need to use it to make a yummy veggie dish like this!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the guest post Tamar!!
    Your recipe looks amazing. Am I going to make it?...no, but if you made it for me, I'd be happy to sit down at the table.
    I like the way you've photographed the steps along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just telling someone the other day that I wanted to try to make quinoa... I think that this is a sign!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a brussel sprout fan, but you've sold me on everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tamar!!! Thanks for sharing this recipe. Quinoa is a new ingredient for me, and this recipe sounds (and looks) delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yum!!! I just emailed this to myself so I can try it on my weekly menu next week. Looks so good and perfect for fall and holiday dinners as a side dish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know I don't know if I've actually had a brussel sprout...crazy I know...looks like I need to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh wow - loving the sound of this fall yumminess!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I wasn't hungry before, but now I definitely am! And yes, I'm LOVING my iPhone!

    ReplyDelete