Monday, October 17, 2011

Favorite Pancakes


It may seem silly for me to post a recipe for pancakes, but I'm going to anyway.  When I was little the only pancakes I liked were Bisquick pancakes.  But then we moved to China and Bisquick was not exactly on the shelves of Chinese grocery stores.  So we went to making pancakes from scratch, just like we had to make flour tortillas and salsa and spaghetti sauce and everything else from scratch.  Now these are the only pancakes I will eat.  It's worth the little bit of extra effort for delicious pancakes!  Happy Monday!



Favorite Pancakes
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
optional:  blueberries, chocolate chips, or other add-ins

Beat egg; add remaining ingredients in order listed and whisk until smooth.  Grease heated griddle if necessary.  Pour batter onto hot griddle.  (If adding fruit or chocolate chips, sprinkle onto the batter before turning pancakes.) Turn pancakes when they are puffed and full of bubbles but before bubbles break.  Bake other side until golden brown. Makes ten 4-inch pancakes.  

source:  Betty Crocker's Cookbook

24 comments:

  1. ooh my kiddos are fans, i need to try some from scratch! you lived in China?? wow what an adventure~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you kidding me? Silly to write about pancakes? One of my favorite breakfasts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm drooling! I'm going to have to make these asap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing better than a perfect pancake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMM pancakes from scratch are really the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anything in the morning made with buttermilk is DELICIOUS! Cute Pics of you and your hubby and GREAT pancake photography, too. Makes me hungry for breakfast!!! May be a breakfast for dinner type night!!! I'm your newest "follower." Stop by and say hi and "follow" me so we can be friends!!!

    Aimee @ ItsOverflowing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yumminess! Thanks for sharing!

    Liesl :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm aaaaallll about pancakes =) How interesting u lived in Asia. Very cool!

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is the same recipe my husband uses to make pancakes...best pancakes every time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. uh yum! Can I come have breakfast with you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Breakfast food is my favorite thing to eat and it is usually on the menu for dinner at least once a week! I already have all of the ingredients you listed, so I'm adding these pancakes to this weeks menu!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wait, when did you live in China? How did I miss this little fun fact about you? These look like a recipe I need to try. Maybe this weekend on Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am going to make these for Nolan on his birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. and in addition to the recipe, those are some amazing photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I dont think pancake recipes are silly at all! I never would have know how to make them from scratch! Thank you for the recipe girl!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nothing beats pancakes made from scratch! I love your food photography :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great recipe! I think I have only ever had bisquik at home, I need to try this! Such a perfect Saturday morning recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pancakes are such a luxury for me because I don't get to make/eat them very often. I like mine with blueberries, but these look simply delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. yummie! you lived in China? WOW, didn't knew! must be so impressing living in such a different culture.. nice experience!

    xx
    teresa
    www.trend-ish.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. We are a pancake family! I usually use Krustez but am going to try your recipe when I run out of the mix!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Okay...YUM! Unfortunately, I ALWAYS burn my pancakes! I totally suck at making them! :( But, if I was actually a decent pancake maker/cook/baker I would totally be giving these lovelies a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great pictures Sherri! I really really want a pancake now. :)

    ReplyDelete