Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Read: Committed

(here)
My first beach read of the week was Committed.  I read Eat, Pray, Love when it first came out and loved Elizabeth Gilbert's style of writing.  I was looking forward to reading another one of her books, but was a little nervous it was going to be a book bashing marriage.  As somewhat of a newlywed, I didn't really want to read a book telling me I had made a terrible mistake by getting married.  But that's not how I felt reading this.  I just enjoyed reading a book about marriage (something I obviously am a huge proponent of) written from a very different perspective than my own.  I think it's good to read books that you can't entirely embrace and agree with.  I think it's good to stretch out of your comfort zone and question what you believe and think about something.

Have you read Committed?  What are your thoughts on marriage?

3 comments:

  1. Im just reading it right now and I adore Elizabeth's style. I think her honesty is so refreshing and totally enjoyble. That is such a great post, sunshine. Happy day. Muah

    Ps: I’m hosting a beautiful dress GIVEAWAY today! Just in time for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read it, but I LOVE Eat Pray Love.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Eat, Pray, Love, so when I finished it, I quickly put a hold on Committed, but I was a tad disappointed with this follow-up book. I still liked it enough, but I guess I wasn't expecting it to read like some discourse paper about marriage. It was interesting, though, how she went about tackling the subject. :)

    ReplyDelete