Monday, March 21, 2011

Strawberry Scones

This past Friday was such a good day.  The sun was shining, it was like 72 degrees out, and I was wearing flip flops.  So naturally to make a good day even better I went shopping.  After I came home with everything I had set out to buy (and they all were great deals), I had the urge to bake.  I pretty much have the urge to bake every day, but Friday I just kept going.  I made some granola for our breakfasts this week.   Then I made some pizza dough for our dinner.  Then I decided to try a new recipe for some scones.  I am picky about scones because sometimes they're dry and crumbly and gross.  Last week Kroger had beautiful strawberries on sale, so I wanted to use them and scones were the way to do it.  I have one recipe for scones that is my absolute favorite that I will share at another time, but I was happy to find another scone recipe that I also liked.  The only bummer about scones is that the eight wedges seem to disappear much faster than a batch of muffins...



Strawberry Scones
2 cups flour
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1/2 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing
3/4 cup chopped strawberries (not slices, but pretty small pieces)
1 Tbsp sugar

Place flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and butter in bowl and mix until combined.  Add egg and 1/2 cup heavy cream; mix until soft.  Fold in the strawberries.

Knead dough a few times on lightly floured surface.  The strawberries will not want to incorporate well; I found that I kind of needed to just smoosh them into the dough.  Pat the dough into a circle about 1/2 inch thick.  Cut into 8 wedges.  Place wedges two inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Brush the tops of the wedges with a little bit of heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar.  Bake for 10-12 minutes at 425 degrees, or until cooked through.  Serve warm.

Source:  recipe altered from How To Simplify

1 comment:

  1. gnam, I love scones, well, and anything sweet!!!! I am particularly intrigued from your chocolate soufflé I may going to give it a try in the next days.

    btw, lovely blog!

    ciao bella!
    Ylenia
    http://longuette.blogspot.com

    p.s. I am new follower! ;-)

    ReplyDelete