Thursday, February 17, 2011

Delicious Granola

So I've kind of started a new eating plan.  The feature article in February's Real Simple included 30 of the healthiest ingredients dietitians and nutritionists across the country recommend incorporating into your diet.  Not necessarily the eat-this-and-you'll-get-skinny ingredients, but healthy because they contain things that are good for you in them.  So Caleb and I went to the grocery and came home with 14 of the 30; I figured that was a good start.  Sunday I was a little ambitious and put spinach and oats in my fruit and yogurt smoothie.  Since that failed breakfast I've chilled out a little and am trying to use the ingredients in ways that I will actually eat them and not pour them down the drain.

I made this granola yesterday that had three of the ingredients:  old fashioned oats, walnuts, and almonds.  All three are good for your cholesterol, the almonds also keep blood vessels healthy, and the oats have soluble fiber and fight against heart disease.  This is seriously the best granola I've ever eaten, and I will definitely be making it again.

Granola
my new favorite breakfast!
4 cups old fashioned oats*
1 cup finely chopped almonds
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

Whisk together oats, almonds, walnuts, coconut, cinnamon and salt.  Set aside.

In medium saucepan over medium heat, melt together butter, oil, honey, and brown sugar until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture begins to boil.  Carefully whisk together so it's well incorporated.  Add the vanilla extract.  Pour the warm mixture over the oat mixture and toss together with a wooden spoon.  Make sure all of the oat mixture gets moistened by the sugar mixture.

Spread mixture onto prepared baking sheets and place on the top two racks of the oven.  Bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes, removing from oven and tossing oats on pan twice during baking.  To ensure even baking and prevent any burning, you might want to switch the pans halfway through baking.  After removing from oven, let the granola cool on pans before storing in an airtight container.  (Keeps for up to two weeks but you'll eat it faster than that.)

*Make sure you use old fashioned oats.  I read a lot about granola and using the instant ones will make your granola sandy instead of crunchy.  Also, the old fashioned or steel-cut oats are the ones that are healthiest.

Source:  recipe adapted from joy the baker

4 comments:

  1. I've been looking for a new granola recipe; I'll have to give this one a try! I love your blog, btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherri, every day that you post, I think to myself "This girl is an awful lot like me." I love it. I loved the 30 Healthy Foods issue of Real Simple and have also been changing our eating habits, PLUS this week I made up my mind to make homemade granola. And, on top of that, I just bought new spice jars last week to rearrange my spice cabinet. I can't wait to see how you read my mind next :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love homemade granola, there is nothing quite like it! Thanks for the recipe, I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your blogs. But, having eaten the carmelitas I prefer them to the granola. I'm not as healthy an eater as you.

    ReplyDelete