Monday, August 18, 2014

Peach Crumble Pie


This past weekend we had Caleb's parents in town visiting us, and as I was planning the menu and thinking about what to cook, I realized I had made not one peach dessert this summer! I'm trying to hang on to summer as long as possible (even if school has started), so I figured a peach pie would be the perfect summer-isn't-over-yet dessert. This was my first go at peach pie, but I have to say I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. I always make my pie dough a couple of days before I make a pie (I store it wrapped well in the fridge or freezer), and I also made the crumble the night before and stored it in the fridge. When it came time to make the pie on Friday afternoon, I prepped the peaches and made the filling and put it all together in no time at all.

Peach Crumble Pie
one recipe for pie crust dough (I use this recipe)

for the filling:
3 lbs peaches, peeled, halved, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch slices
2 Tbsp light brown sugar
2 Tbsp flour

for the crumble:
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
6 Tbsp (3/4 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly flour a rolling pin and work surface and roll out pie dough to a 12-inch round. Place in a 9-inch pie plate, fold overhang under, and crimp edges.

Make the filling: in a large bowl, toss together peaches, brown sugar, and flour until combined.

Make the crumble: in a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, and oats; using a pastry blender, work in butter until large clumps form.

Transfer peach filling to pie shell, then sprinkle crumble evenly over top. Place pie on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until juices are bubbling and topping is golden, 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack 1 1/2 hours before serving. Store, covered, at room temperature up to 2 days. 

Source: Everyday Food, July/August 2011

1 comment:

  1. This looks and sounds so good. Peach pie is one of my favorites, but no one else in my family likes it. Hope you all had a nice visit!

    ReplyDelete