Friday, August 15, 2014

Reese's Cup Stuffed Brownie Cupcakes



These might be the most dangerous treats I have ever baked. And by dangerous I mean ridiculously-good-can't-stop-eating-them. I was inspired by my aunt who made these brownie cupcakes stuffed with Reese's cups over the 4th of July, and I loved them so much I made them the very next weekend. I have been all about chocolate + peanut butter lately, and these brownie cupcakes are the perfect combination. You could virtually stuff any candy inside of a brownie cupcake, so get creative and let me know what you come up with! The next one I want to try is York Peppermint Patties... yummm.

Reese's Cup Stuffed Brownie Cupcakes
one package of your favorite brownie mix (I used Ghiradelli)
one package of snack size Reese's cups
chocolate sour cream frosting (recipe below)

Prepare your brownie mix according to package instructions. Grease a standard cupcake pan with non-stick cooking spray. Add enough brownie batter to cover the bottom of each cupcake holder. Unwrap a Reese's cup and place in each cupcake holder over the small amount of brownie batter. Add more brownie batter to cover each Reese's cup and fill the cupcake holder 3/4 full (brownies will not raise up much). Bake at the temperature on your brownie package, being sure to start checking for doneness after 15 minutes of baking. Check every 5 minutes or so until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownie cupcake comes out clean. (Brands of brownie mixes vary so sorry the timing is not more specific here!) Allow brownies to cool slightly before removing from the cupcake pan. When cooled completely, frost the cupcakes as desired. Cupcakes will stay fresh in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Makes 12-15 cupcakes.

Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting
4 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup sour cream
smidgen of salt (less than a pinch!)

Heat the chocolate in a double boiler or medium heatproof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of simmering water, stirring often, until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and let cool, 10-15 minutes.

Using an electric mixer, beat the butter on high until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add the sugar and beat until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add the chocolate, sour cream, and salt and beat to combine.

source: stuffed brownie recipe inspired by my aunt, frosting recipe adapted from Real Simple, May 2011

3 comments:

  1. These are my FAVORITE! My friend's mom used to make them when we went to the beach every spring, and I would eat them throughout the whole weekend. I finally got my hands on the recipe a couple of years ago, but haven't made them nearly enough times :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word!!!! Those DO look dangerous lol.....gimme gimme gimme :-)

    ReplyDelete