Monday, July 8, 2013

Around Here, Lately

1. I quit my job. This was one of the more difficult decisions I've made lately, but it was definitely the right one (isn't that how it usually works?). Leaving the known for the unknown is always hard, especially when I got along so well with most of my co-workers, but I realized I was in a job that was not right for me + I needed a change. My last week was the week before we went to the beach, so I was really thankful to have a week of down-time/transition.

2. I started a new job! I started the end of May and have really enjoyed it. It's been a really great fit for me, and I'm so thankful I made the decision to just go for it. The office environment is one that I was looking for, and it's been really challenging--which I LOVE.

3. We went to VA to visit Caleb's sister and her husband. They live in Blacksburg, so we loved being able to walk around the campus at VT and reminisce about college days. We also drove by the house we lived in when we were first married. We really had a great weekend visiting with Emily and Dave; we love spending time with them!

4. I got a donut at the best donut place on the east coast. I am not even exaggerating. Carol Lee Donuts in Blacksburg is where. it's. AT! If you're ever in southwest Virginia, taking a 20 minute detour off of 81 will be totally worth it. This place is partly responsible for the weight I gained in college...

5. The AC in our house broke - womp womp. The upstairs unit broke, then a week later the downstairs one crapped out as well. And let me tell you it was HOT! Thankfully the HVAC dudes were able to recharge the one downstairs, so we only had to replace the upstairs unit. For you homeowners out there, I hope your HVAC units have a long and happy life... because they cost a pretty penny! But we are very thankful to be cool again :)

6. We have a garden! We've slowly been accumulating produce from our little garden out back. We mostly have zucchini, but we're starting to get more cherry tomatoes and have had a few raspberries here and there. I'm starting to run out of ideas for how to use up all of the zucchini, so if you have any great recipes let me know!

7. We went to VA for a second time in June to visit my sister and her family. We had a great time playing with the kids and hanging out in their home. When we go a couple of months without getting to see the kids, they change so much! We love getting to play with them and hear all of the things they have to say.


That's pretty much the summary of things happening around here. I'm going to work on blogging more consistently... we'll see how it goes :) Happy Monday!

8 comments:

  1. I had the same problem with zucchini. I asked for recipes and got almost 400 recipes sent to me. Seriously. I've been posting them on my blog, but I especially loved the chicken tortilla soup and the caramel cupcakes.

    http://www.ecollinswriter.com/2013/06/day-5-chicken-tortilla-soup.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can freeze zucchini. I do that all the time. Just chop it up and save it for a day when you need it.

    I LOVE this peanut sauce recipe that I have. You serve it with chicken, zucchini, broccoli and rice. Sooo good. You can put it on wraps or just eat plain. Let me know if you want the recipe and I can email it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your new job/quit job! So glad you are liking the new one and that you made the right choice for yourself. Looks like you have been busy traveling lately!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow lots going on! Y'all are having a fun summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you made the transition. That's how it was for me when I left my job of 5 years last September. I'm so much happier where I am now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the new job!! That is awesome that you love it and you feel challenged.

    LOVE that pic of Burruss.

    I have a favorite zucchini recipe: blueberry zucchini bread. Really moist and delicious. Seriously, so good! http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Blueberry-Zucchini-Bread/Detail.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also, this veggie skillet meal! http://www.readyseteat.com/recipes-Zucchini-Black-Bean-and-Rice-Skillet-5623.html?tool=true

    ReplyDelete
  8. i don't know how I missed this post but CONGRATS on the new job! way to take control of your life and make a change for the better - I always find this inspiring.

    ReplyDelete