Monday, April 15, 2013

Book Review: Freefall to Fly


A few weeks ago I was asked to read and review Freefall to Fly, a new memoir by Rebekah Lyons. (By the way, how gorgeous is that cover?! I LOVE Dana Tanamachi's work!) Rebekah's memoir hits on themes that are common among many women: loneliness, anxiety, depression, fear, contentment, etc. Rebekah's family moves from suburban Georgia to the heart of Manhattan, and she struggles deeply with the transition. I found her vulnerability and honesty throughout the book refreshing: she doesn't sugar-coat her shortcomings--her lack of joy, the pressure to perform, her failures in mothering and marriage. She begins her journey filled with panic, anxiety, and depression, but as she struggles through questions of meaning and purpose, she finds her calling in a place of recognizing her giftedness and meeting others' needs with those gifts. This book was an easy read: I sat down in an afternoon and read the whole thing. Her honesty grabbed my attention, and I wanted to hear her story. But, I didn't feel that the book offered much more than one woman's story. I wouldn't use this as a guide or resource for helping others get through their own struggles with loneliness, depression, or anxiety. It would be worth reading if you're wanting to hear another woman's journey through her struggles, but it's not a 5-star read in my opinion.

6 comments:

  1. That is a gorgeous cover....I would read it for that alone lol Clearly I judge a book by it's cover

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your honest review. And you're right...that cover is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i always like your book recommendations - honest and to the point. this sounds good (i love the southern/manhattan juxtaposition), and hearing other women's journeys is always interesting (heck, i'm a blogger, right?!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a powerful memoir of what it feels like to fight anxiety—it’s not a self-help book, but a powerfully shared story.
    But here’s the thing—even if you don’t suffer from clinical depression, most of us question our purpose, wonder about life’s meaning. This book addresses the questions each of us asks, deep in our souls. Rebekah is breathtakingly honest about her panic attacks, her questions, and the answers she eventually finds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read a bit of it, and had the same opinion as you did. Neat to see someone else's story, but not really enough substance to help guide other people through the same process, perhaps? But then again - I didn't read it all. :)

    ReplyDelete