Friday, April 12, 2013

Our Entertainment Center


Just this week something very exciting happened around here: Caleb finished building our entertainment center! Yes, Caleb designed, built, and dyed that beautiful piece of furniture on his own! This is only Caleb's third piece of furniture (he built the nighstands for our guest room); didn't it turn out so well? There's more pictures of the process after the jump, if you'd like to see...



...so this is what we were working with before: a junky TV stand we picked up from Walmart after we first got married. Caleb and I hated this thing: our sound system was exploding out of it and all of the wires and cords drove me insane! After we bought our house last year, we spent months looking for an entertainment center. We didn't want it to be too big, we didn't want it to have doors, we didn't want it to take up the entire wall. We were picky, to say the least. We also wanted it to fit our sound system neatly so that it didn't look like such a disaster. We looked and looked but never found anything that we liked.

SO, we decided that Caleb would build us one! We played around with the design for a long time, and I actually helped with this part! I came up with the conceptual design, but Caleb got down and dirty with the numbers and measurements and really figured out how to build this thing. He spent about 2-3 months working on it after work and on the weekends:  buying all the wood, cutting it to size, buying new tools, sanding, buying more tools, gluing, assembling, and finally dyeing. We decided to dye the wood instead of stain it because I liked the way the dye looked better. I don't like when you can see a lot of grains in wood furniture, so the dye helped hide that.  I am SO proud of all of Caleb's hard work! We couldn't be happier with how it turned out, and it has transformed the way our family room looks. It's SO nice to have a piece of furniture exactly how we want it! Caleb is so talented and now I have a list of other furniture I want him to build for our house:)




9 comments:

  1. Wow this is a stunning piece of furniture and to think that Caleb made it for y'all is so special and such a treasure!!! Where should I put my order in for one for us? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, Sherri I love it! Caleb did such a great job!! I have never heard of dying wood instead of staining - the result looks fabulous! I love the color you chose and everything looks so perfectly contained and sleek but still has character. I am so impressed! I am going to show this to Michael :) The speakers & cords never seem to be hidden well in our house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work, Caleb!! You did such a great job! We are very impressed with your skill and expertise and we're so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! That is sooo beautiful! He did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks fantastic! He did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow - that is just awesome. so cool that he made that - if i was you i'd also have a list of other things i'd want him to make!

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a great project and such a great job! It's just the right size, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dang! That looks amazing. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dang! That looks amazing. Great work!

    ReplyDelete