Monday, October 8, 2012

Oatmeal Carmelitas



These might be the most delicious bars you can make with the least amount of effort.  When I needed to make a dessert in college, I would make these bars.  And if an overtired college student with a understocked kitchen and pantry can whip these bad boys out, then you know they're easy!  Happy Monday!

Oatmeal Carmelitas
2 cups + 3 Tbsp flour
2 cups oats (quick or old fashioned)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 1/4 cups unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 jar Smuckers caramel topping (about 1 cup)
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick spray.  Beat 2 cups flour, oats, brown sugar, butter, baking soda, and salt on low speed until crumbly.  Reserve about 3 cups of crumbs for topping.  Press other half of crumbs into the bottom of the greased pan.  Bake for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, stir caramel topping and 3 Tbsp flour until blended.  Once the crust is done baking, sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts over baked base.  Drizzle evenly with the caramel mixture; sprinkle the reserved crumb mixture over top. Bake 18-22 minutes longer, or until golden brown.  Cool completely in pan for one hour.  Refrigerate 1-2 hours or until filling is set.  Cut into bars and store in refrigerator.

10 comments:

  1. These look amazingly delicious. I think I have everything for them too. They might just get made today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delish!!! I'll need to remember this for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been craving something with oatmeal...this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious! I love recipes that use what I have in the pantry already :)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always make the most delicious sounding/looking treats! Your hubby must think you are the best wife ever :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. sooo, I happened to check your blog right before I went to the grocery store. Needless to say, I am about to make these and Jonathan is excited :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy!These look great! I also love the plates that you used; very fallish :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. you keep making so much wonderful stuff and my list keeps getting longer and longer. i think i may try this with trader joe's fluer de sel caramel - can't wait!

    ReplyDelete