Friday, October 5, 2012

DIY Pottery Barn Nightstand


Yay!  This is the newest addition to our guest bedroom: a beautiful nightstand that Caleb made with his OWN HANDS! Yes, I am just a little bit excited about this!  I saw this nightstand from Pottery Barn and loved it!  But I did not love the price tag.  So my wonderful husband made it for me!  For the past little while Caleb has been filling the garage with woodworking tools so that he could teach himself woodworking and make it his newest hobby.

To start off, we went to Pottery Barn and Caleb thoroughly inspected the nightstand.  He was even kneeling on the floor at one point checking out how the drawer slid in and out...I might have been a little embarrassed.

Then he designed the nightstand with some design software that he uses at work.  He made everything to scale using the dimensions Pottery Barn provided online. 

Then he cut out the pieces and grooves for the pieces to fit together, painted all of them, and assembled it!  I couldn't be happier with it!  It looks exactly like the one from Pottery Barn, except it's a true white to match the bedroom and a brushed nickel handle instead of bronze to also match the room.

all of the pieces ready to paint



We are so happy with how it turned out - especially because it is Caleb's first piece!  I'm thinking he's going to be very busy making furniture for the rest of our house... :)  Have a great weekend!

21 comments:

  1. wow, that is absolutely beautiful. He did such a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this! it looks amazing! when you guys start having babies he'll have to make you a crib :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeeeeah! Kudos to Caleb for nailing it! Looks like something I'd find in a home store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is so cool!!! no wonder you make all this delicious stuff for him, haha. when we move out of the city i should encourage brian to take up wood-working...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherri, it sounds like Caleb doesn't even need this, but you and he might enjoy this website: http://ana-white.com/. It has lots of blueprints for knockoffs of designer furniture. We have made the leaning bookshelves based of the pattern from here, and Tim altered it a bit to fit our needs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's so awesome! way to go caleb : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so beautiful! He did an amazing job!! I never would have thought to paint all the wood before putting it together but it looks so polished and perfect. Great job Caleb!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Caleb did such a great job!! I've been looking for nightstands...they are sooo expensive! Caleb might need to teach me a thing or two so I can make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's a great job you guys did! I love the end result!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! I can't wait to see what it looks like in the guest bedroom :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Sherri! I am so impressed by your husbands handyman skills! The night stand is absolutely beautiful and so well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks awesome! You need to link this up to some linky parties! Way to go Caleb! Can't wait to rest my glasses on this one day...

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks great!! I'm impressed. What a great skill to have!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness! That is his first wooden construction?! No wonder you're so impressed! He is VERY talented! Way to go Caleb!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks really great. So nice to have a husband who makes furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow this is fabulous! He did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ummm may I borrow Caleb please? I love how it turned out! And I honestly think it looks better than the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh it looks amazing! Great job Caleb! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. He did a great job! And I love styles like this, with an open shelf at the bottom.

    ReplyDelete