Friday, July 27, 2012

Coconut Seven Layer Bar Ice Cream



My favorite Christmas cookie that my mom makes every year is the coconut seven layer bar.  So it's no surprise that is also my favorite ice cream flavor at Ben & Jerry's.  They only serve it in the scoop shops, so I decided to try to re-create it on my own.  I was pretty pleased with how it turned out, and you can be sure that you will find me with a bowl of it tonight in front of the Olympics opening ceremony.  Hope you have a great weekend! 

Coconut Seven Layer Bar Ice Cream
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
1 can (15 oz) coconut cream, such as Coco Lopez

Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes.  Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more.  Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend. Add the coconut cream (be sure to discard the waxy disk) and blend well together.  Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer's instructions.

After the ice cream begins to stiffen, but before it is actually done, add 1/3 to 1/2 cup of each of the following:
semisweet chocolate chips
butterscotch chips
sweetened coconut flakes
graham cracker crumbs
chopped pecans

Continue freezing until the ice cream is ready.  Transfer to containers and place in the freezer until ready to serve.

source: coconut ice cream recipe from Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream & Dessert Book

9 comments:

  1. definitely my favorite flavor too! i didn't know there was a ben & jerry's recipe book....excellent discovery - wish i had an ice cream maker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow this sounds sinful! Ya for all things coconut! We will be watching the opening ceremony too...:) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make your own ice cream too? Girl you are seriously one of the most talented women I know! I bet this was delicious! Happy Friday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks so good! did you cook your cream base or did you use pasteurized eggs?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i make those cookies, too! an all time favorite. how cool to turn it into ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I can't tell you how much I love coconut and Coco Lopez is the best! I can't wait to get to the point in my cooking career when i can eat something out at a restaurant and recreate the same thing at home. Props!

    ReplyDelete