Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Zucchini Cream Cheese Pound Cake


Sometimes when I get home from work I don't feel like doing anything else.  I throw some dinner together and then relax the rest of the night.  Sometimes I come home and push myself to go running.  Because I like endorphins and I don't like love-handles.  Sometimes I get fancy and decide to make a cake.  And sometimes, while the cake is in the oven, I sneak in a quick run just so I can eat a piece guilt-free.

P.S. The recipe calls this a pound cake, but we totally ate it for breakfast.

Zucchini Cream Cheese Pound Cake
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 cups shredded zucchini (from 2 medium-sized zucchini)

Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and heat to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour at 12-cup bundt pan and set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.  Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar on medium speed until well incorporated, about 2 minutes.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating for 1 minute between each addition, then add vanilla.  With the mixer on low speed, pour in the melted butter and increase speed to medium-high to beat until velvety smooth, about 3 minutes.

Reduce mixer speed to low and add flour mixture, all at once, to the mixture.  Beat until just incorporated.  Remove the bowl from the mixer and use a spatula to fold in the zucchini.  The batter will be thick.

Spoon batter into prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove cake from oven and allow to cool in the pan for 20 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely. 

source:  recipe from Joy the Baker Cookbook

16 comments:

  1. I have never made anything like this but it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so intrigued by this combination! It looks delicious. I will have to make this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be planting zucchini in my garden today...as soon as that stuff comes in, this is the first thing I am making! YUM! :-) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh...hello! This looks absolutely amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so good! I'm with Amanda, and as soon as we have zucchini from our garden I'm going to make one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm usually not a big zucchini fan but this recipe had me at cream cheese! And have you seen the Lululemon water bottle that says "I run because I really (x10) like dessert"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh! I am going to have to add the ingredients to my grocery list, because I am definitely making these ASAP! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the little flecks of green in the cake - how delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes running and then enjoying a treat is the best of both worlds! I'm surprised you made such a yummy treat after a long work day. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yum! this sounds amazing i really want to make this. what a great recipe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow- this looks so scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. omg if I wasn't on a ridiculous diet right now I'd be making this tomorrow!

    xo Jackie
    ...livingaftermidnite
    Enter to win a Rebecca Minkoff mark. Delight Bag!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, you had me at cream cheese!! This sounds yummy!! Will have to bookmark this one...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Because I like endorphins and I don't like love-handles." hahaha - totally feel you on that one! my co-worker brought in a cream cheese banana bread today, which i enjoyed, so something tell me i should try this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a perfect breakfast to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Saving this for when I find zucchini so darn cheap that I can't resist buying it but then have no idea what to do with it! Also, very proud of you for running at night - I just crash :)

    ReplyDelete