Thursday, April 12, 2012

April: Lighten Up

via

So here it is a third of the way through April and I'm just now getting around to posting my goals!  And that's okay because this month's chapter in The Happiness Project is about lightening up!  Gretchen Rubin really focused on parenthood and trying to keep a light and happy household. Obviously there are no little ones running around this house, so my goals are more about slowing down and loving right now.

1. Enjoy the process.  I am so goal-oriented that I find myself wanting to hurry through tasks so I can check things off my never-ending to-do list.  This means that I rarely actually enjoy what I'm doing!  Pathetic, I know.  Two things that come to mind right away are cooking and shopping.  I want to take my time and just cook or bake some things for fun!  And I'm really terrible at enjoying shopping.  I walk in a store, take about 30 seconds to sweep a glance over all the racks, and if nothing catches my eye I leave.  I want to take my time and really look through things, even if it means I look through a bunch of stuff and don't end up getting anything.

2. Take more pictures along the way.  This kind of goes along with #1.  Stopping and taking pictures will force me to slow down, soak in the moment, and enjoy whatever I'm doing, instead of just rushing through it.  Plus having more pictures of the little moments along the way will make me happier in the long run :)

3. Make time for more fun projects.  I haven't been making time for creative and fun projects lately, because I'm trying to do too many other things that I think are more "important".  Example: last night when I got home from work I really wanted to do this craft I've been waiting to do all week.  Instead I felt like I should fold the four loads of clean laundry first.  And then make dinner.  And run some errands.  And then I never got around to it!  I don't want to totally neglect our house and my responsibilities, but I think I need to let some things go and make time for fun projects, too.

Have you made any new goals lately?  Are you good at slowing down and enjoying the moment?

P.S. You can see the rest of my posts on The Happiness Project here!

10 comments:

  1. My goal is to have baby #2's room done! I think I'm the same way...I rush through goals/to do lists just to mark them off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes we make goals and then God has another thing in mind that changes our goals that we have set. That's kinda what we are going through right now. We thought we would be in a new house in our new city right now, but I was laid off from my job and we still have our house in our old city. So, our right now goals have changed, but our main goals are still the same! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your attitude towards your goals. You're a great role-model. But yes, sometimes plans get rearranged, and that's ok; maybe tomorrow you'll get to that craft :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your new goals! I need to try to start working on my own set of goals and try to understand that when they go awry that's okay too. I really also need to learn to slow down and just enjoy the moment I'm living in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All great things to remind ourselves. Actually I have the opposite problem I tend to spend more time on the fun projects when I should be cleaning & folding laundry. Rub off some off that on me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha you sound like me! I'm trying not to rush to fold laundry or do dishes, etc. But it's VERY hard. At least I'm trying though, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. I totally agree with. Sometimes I feel like I'm rushing to get to the end of the night without enjoying it along the way. And for shopping - yes! do this! sometimes when i try a good amount of stuff on and it doesn't work I 1 - am happy I'm staying on budget and 2 - learn more about what i like/what looks best on me. and sometimes you'll be surprised with what does work!

    And 2 - I love this. I've started to do that more with my iphone, and it's been in a very casual way, and it's great to have little moments to remember.

    i love your happiness project posts - so many good ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha! My list of goals for the past two months has been VERY LONG! But, it's been fun to see that if I just set aside the time to do the things I've been wanting to do, they really don't end up taking that long. And, I'm able to fold the laundry, make dinner and clean. Sometimes it means just deciding to get it done. And, once I'm working on my projects I find that I enjoy them so much more because I know I'm accomplishing something. Hope you can get to that project tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this series - it's so great that you are living mindfully. My hubby read this book, I gotta get it out and read it. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I started reading The Happiness Project a few weeks ago because of your posts. I really like some of her insights; I'm even underlining in the book as I read.

    ReplyDelete