Friday, March 2, 2012

Eclair Cake



Caleb isn't a big cake person, so this year instead of a birthday cake he requested this eclair cake.  My mom has been making this dessert since I was little, and I love it.  It doesn't take long to make it, but because it has to chill for at least 8 hours, it's perfect for putting together in the morning, sticking it in the fridge, and forgetting about it until after dinner.

Eclair Cake
1 (14-16 oz) box of whole graham crackers
2 packages instant vanilla pudding
3 cups cold milk
1 (8 oz) tub of Cool Whip, thawed

for the topping
1 cup sugar
1 stick butter
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Add the milk to the two packages of vanilla pudding.  Whisk by hand several minutes, until pudding thickens up.  Fold in the Cool Whip.  In a 9x13 pan, place enough of the graham crackers to cover the bottom of the pan.  Layer half of the pudding mixture on top, then add another layer of graham crackers.  Spread the remaining pudding over the graham crackers, and top with another layer of graham crackers.

To make the topping, in a small saucepan combine sugar, butter, and milk.  Stir constantly.  Bring to a boil and boil for one minute.  Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate chips until melted and smooth.  Spoon chocolate topping over the top layer of graham crackers.  Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours.  Serves 12.

source:  recipe from my mom

10 comments:

  1. Fabulous! I'm definitely going to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this but it looks spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously why do you tease me so early in the morning? This looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh hey, remember how I gave up sweets? Yeah, this isn't helping me lol. I made it through one day so far (except for when I had to taste test the cream cheese frosting for a carrot cake), but I don't count that since I won't be eating the actual cake later today. (It was for a co-worker's birthday!) Can you live closer so we can hang out and bake together? Please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would totally choose this over a regular birthday cake. Good choice!

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY GOODNESS this looks AMAZING. adding it to my list of recipes to make pronto.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this sounds amazing - and easy to make. tell your mom thank you :)

    ReplyDelete