Monday, March 5, 2012

Croissant French Toast


This past weekend I had the sudden urge to make French toast for breakfast.  I'll usually take pancakes over French toast any day, but I really wanted some French toast made with croissants.  We don't go to church until 10:45 on Sunday morning, so I was able to get up in enough time to make us a breakfast of French toast before church.  I loved that the croissants made this French toast a little lighter and airier, and it was the perfect start to our Sunday.

Croissant French Toast
5 large eggs
1 cup half-and-half
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp finely grated orange zest
4 croissants, split horizontally
1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted

Whisk eggs, half-and-half, sugar, cinnamon, and orange zest in a large bowl to blend.  Add croissants to egg mixture; turn to coat evenly on both sides.

Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium-low heat.  Brush with melted butter.  Lift croissants from batter, allowing excess to drip back into bowl.  Cook croissants on griddle until browned on both sides and just cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.  Place 2 halves on each plate and serve with toppings of choice.  Makes 4 servings.

source:  recipe adapted from Bon Appétit, December 2011

20 comments:

  1. mmm... they are so yummy!!!
    I wish I could make them for my boyfriend, I'm sure he will like them! Thanks for sharing!

    I would really like to invite your and all your followers to join the giveaway on my blog: an italian designer is offering to a lucky reader a pair of handmade tights! Please, feel free to have a look and enter if you like it :)

    http://larakasabian.blogspot.com/2012/03/marakita-giveaway.html

    xo, Lara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy! I love your plate - such a pretty color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at French toast! I love the addition of the croissant. It's so different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a sucker for french toast...yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. using croissants in place of bread is totally the way to go. it just makes everything buttery and better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow a croissant is the perfect french bread for french toast! You sure do know how to think outside the box on this still. Great job!

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woweee!! Looks amazing!! What a yummy sounding feel good breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Honestly. The. Best. Idea. Ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious! One of my favorite brunch places had the most amazing croissant french toast! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We both posted different french toast recipes today :) Yours sounds DELICIOUS! I will maybe have to try that this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oo that makes me want to whip up some GF french toast with some gf bread I have! And kinda jealous your services start at 10:45. My synagauge starts at 9:30, but I usually show up by 10:15 (-:

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh this sounds lovely! I've never tried to with croissants, but this definitely makes me want to. Did you have a lovely weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds heavenly! You know who's going to pick up some croissants to make us breakfast these week... This girl! Hope you had a good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. May have just drooled a little.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow never thought of using a croissant. Smartie pants! I haven't had french toast in so long...need to change that soon. Maybe next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I so love French Toast! How yum w/ a croissant. Have you ever made it with challah? Unfortunately we end up eating the bread straight out of the bag before I can cook with it. How was the new job?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am obsessed with french toast! I'm definitely trying this recipe soon. xoxo Marissa

    http://happiness-is-the-little-things.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohhh...that looks fantastic! I want to try it out next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks SO good! I'm starving right now and would love some of this :)

    ReplyDelete