Monday, January 30, 2012

Vanilla Ice Cream


My in-laws gave me an ice cream maker for Christmas, and I made ice cream for the first time a couple of weeks ago!  I was surprised at how easy it was, and this ice cream is some of the best vanilla ice cream I've had.  We made brownie sundaes with hot fudge sauce one weekend, and this past weekend we had deep dish chocolate chip cookies with ice cream on top. 

Vanilla Ice Cream
1 cup whole milk
a pinch of salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
2 cups heavy cream
5 large egg yolks
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Heat the milk, salt, and sugar in a saucepan.  Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the milk with a paring knife, then add the bean pod to the milk.  Cover, remove from heat, and infuse for one hour.

To make the ice cream, set up an ice bath by placing a 2-quart bowl in a larger bowl partially filled with ice and water. Set a strainer over the top of the smaller bowl and pour the heavy cream into the bowl.

In a separate bowl, stir together the egg yolks.  Rewarm the milk then gradually pour some of the milk into the yolks, whisking constantly as you pour.  Scrape the warmed yolks and milk back into the saucepan.  Cook over low heat, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom with a heat-resistant spatula, until the custard thickens enough to coat the spatula.

Strain the custard into the heavy cream.  Stir over the ice until cool, add the vanilla extract, then refrigerate to chill thoroughly.  Preferably overnight.

Remove the vanilla bean and freeze the custard in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

source:  recipe from david lebovitz, adapted from The Perfect Scoop

*ETA:  I have had several questions about what type of ice cream maker I use.  I have the Kitchen Aid ice cream maker attachment for my Kitchen aid stand mixer.  You can purchase it here.  I have been very happy with it and would recommend it!

23 comments:

  1. This is so sweet (pun intended lol) This will be great during the hot months of the summer :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous! I want an ice cream maker. I remember going to my grandma's on Saturdays when I was little and making it! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. darn. i have been meaning to make those deep dish chocolate chip cookies. this was a good reminder to get on top of that. and that i need to live near you so you can make me ice cream ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I didn't realize how easy it was either! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'v always been a little intimidating when it comes to making my own ice cream, but if you say it's fairly easy...I might have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ice cream makers are the BEST!! I thrifted one a while back and I need to bring it back out :) This looks amazzeee..even at 8am :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a huge ice cream person, but I really do enjoy a good homemade ice cream every once in a while :) Hope you had a great weekend, Sherri!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What could be better??? I love vanilla.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got an ice cream maker over the holidays too! I've been putting off the ice cream-making, but this inspires me to get on it. It looks just like a scoop of creamy Haaggen Dazs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Homemade ice cream sounds absolutely divine! Vanilla ice cream is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oo you can see all that fresh vanilla in there, yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks and sounds delicious! Ice cream is the perfect dessert any time of the year :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My grandparents use to have an icecream maker! Haven't had the homemade kind in years. Sounds yummy, especially with chocolate chip cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. mmmhm....homemade ice cream..i wouldn't even have thought about it. but it would be much better at home indeed. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i've been wanting an ice cream maker! so jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've had an ice cream maker....sitting unopened in the box, for about three years now. And ice cream is like my most favorite thing ever! I really need to try making my own!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Totally jealous of your ice cream maker! Nothing beats homemade ice cream! Looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  18. If we had a teeny bit more space in our kitchen, I would totally get an ice cream maker! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh that ice cream looks delicious! I think I now officially need an ice cream maker :)

    Mandy
    The Klury Report & Kini Style

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've always wanted to make ice cream but I've never purchased an ice cream maker :( It looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Would you mind sharing what brand ice cream maker you received? I have been thinking about this for a while and would love a tried and true recommendation. Thx--Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  22. Barbara: I have included a link below the ice cream recipe with the ice cream maker that I use. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete