Wednesday, February 1, 2012

January: What Boosted My Energy

via

I'm blogging about my monthly goals to help keep me accountable, so it's time to look at the goals I had for January!

As far as boosting my physical energy:
Decrease caffeine:  this was a struggle at first, but I only had coffee twice in January and I think my body has adjusted.  I love feeling energetic knowing it's not coming from my morning cup of coffee!  I think this one wins as far as what has boosted my physical energy the most.  I was pretty dependent on lots of caffeine.

Eat breakfast:  this has definitely helped me get through the morning working more productively.  I've also found that I don't eat a huge lunch trying to make up for not eating breakfast.

Start strength training:  I haven't done that well with this one.  I bought a kettle bell and have done it some mornings, but I need to do it more consistently.  (side note: the people who live below us complained that we've been "consistently stomping and throwing things".  We don't stomp or throw things, so the only thing I can figure is they must have heard me doing my jumping jacks with the workout video - whoops!)

Take more walks:  it rained a lot this month, but I did make a bigger effort to get outside when it was nice and walk a little bit.  I did help me refocus and gave me a little energy burst.

Boosting my mental energy:
Make a list of nagging projects:  I had 8 things on my list and I've finished 5!  I can't even explain how wonderful it feels to cross these things off.  All 8 are things that I've been needing to do for a long time, and to finally be able to stop thinking about them and stop reminding myself to just do them feels amazing.  This was definitely the most rewarding goal of January!

Organize the pantry: done!  I found more expired food than I thought I had, and I can now see what's on all of the shelves.  It makes cooking dinner and making my grocery lists MUCH faster.

Tidy up before bed: this helps me get going on my day faster in the morning!  It's totally worth taking a few minutes at night to clean up the kitchen and put things away.

If something takes 5 minutes or less, do it now:  another super rewarding goal!  My email inbox has gotten down to ZERO!  Also our "dump zones" (kitchen counter and coffee table) have stayed cleared off because I'm dealing with mail, etc. right away instead of letting it pile up.

Get rid of unnecessary stuff:  I went through all of my stuff and found a lot to get rid of.  Some of it just needed to be thrown away, but clothes and shoes I'm donating to Goodwill.  Also, I found a bunch of unopened toiletries and cleaning products that are just extras, and these are great to donate to women's shelters.

I think focusing on energy and working towards these goals did make me feel happier.  I think this has more to do with the mental energy goals.  I'm not wasting time and energy thinking about the things I want to get done, but mostly I've eliminated many of the little things that were annoying me.

Have you made progress with your goals or resolutions for 2012?

11 comments:

  1. Awesome list, I love the bit about your neighbors complaining of the noise, we got a 1st floor apartment just for that reason! Mine is actually fairly similar :) although I would add that I need to stop eating so much 'junk' ... I know I'm totally going to regret it when it comes time to loose my "baby weight!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you have made a lot of great changes this month! I need to organize my mornings a little better so I can have more energy throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great going...im all over the breakast and working out for sure...keep up the great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you've had a very productive month so far! Awesome Sherri!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had yourself quite a productive month! I'm laughing about the neighbor thing....oh I remember the joys of apartment/condo living. I've made a little progress on some of my goals but still have a long way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are all so important. I've got to actually eat breakfast and not just eat and run.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at you and all that you've accomplished! Love it! Now we just need to keep up our goals throughout the rest of the year... I think you'll keep me motivated though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you are really knocking out those goals! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm impressed with all that you've gotten done this month! That cracks me up about what your neighbors said about you guys. Ha! I look forward to reading about all of the goals you accomplish this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am such a tidy before bed person - it really is the best. and way to get 5 of 8 things on that list done - i'm super impressed. as for the jumping jacks...you can't be that loud! maybe your neighbors need to chill out a little bit. ahh, the joys of apartment living.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a great list. I am right there with ya on the getting rid of unnecessary stuff. I recently cleaned out my closet and donated a TON of stuff that was just taking up space..felt great :)

    ReplyDelete