Monday, November 14, 2011

Classic Mac & Cheese



As you know, mac & cheese is my ultimate comfort food and I'm constantly trying new recipes.  Last week I discovered this recipe for the best classic mac & cheese I've ever had.  The sauce is thick and cheesy and has a deeper flavor than other versions I've tried.  It makes a TON so plan on leftovers!  And this one actually re-warms nicely in the microwave.  All around it's a win.  Make it on some cold night this fall and you won't be disappointed!

Classic Mac & Cheese
for the topping
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
salt & pepper

for the pasta
1 lb pasta shapes
6 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
6 Tbsp flour
2 1/4 cups chicken broth
3 1/2 cups milk
8 oz colby jack cheese, shredded
16 oz extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
salt & freshly ground black pepper

To make the topping, melt the butter in a medium bowl in the microwave.  Add the panko crumbs to the melted better, and stir until coated in the butter.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Set aside to cool.

Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Bring a large pot of water to boil.  Add the pasta to the water and cook just until it begins to soften, about 5 minutes.  Drain the pasta and leave in the colander.

Return the pot to the heat.  Melt the butter over medium-high heat.  Stir in the garlic, dry mustard, and cayenne, cooking just until fragrant, about 30-60 seconds.  Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until golden, about 1 minute.  Whisk in the chicken broth and milk and continue to heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture bubbles and thickens slightly, about 10 minutes.  Remove from the heat.  Stir in the cheeses, whisking until completely melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Stir the drained pasta into the cheese sauce.

Pour the pasta and cheese mixture into a lightly greased 9x13" baking dish.  Sprinkle with the bread crumb topping. Bake at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and the bread crumbs are golden brown.  (You may want to place a baking sheet on the rack underneath the baking dish to catch any sauce that bubbles over.)  Serves 8-10

source:  recipe slightly adapted from annie's eats, originally from The Best Make-Ahead Recipe

29 comments:

  1. aah! never tried mac & cheese with that crispy cover! i imagine the flavor/texture in my mouth :) yummsssssss!!!!!!

    happy week dear,
    teresa
    www.trend-ish.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love some mac and cheese! And we like ours with a little "kick" in it. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mac & cheese is such a comfort food...yum! Your recipe sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this looks delicious, especially with the bread crumb topping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh delish...the perfect fall treat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohi love mac and cheese!! that recipe looks delicious and i want to eat those photos are breakfast even though it isn't a breakfast food ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness I think you just won my heart =)

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Umm, this looks seriously amazing! When you said how creamy it was I was expecting it to have expensive cheese in it. Glad it's got the cheap stuff - can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do not have a favorite macaroni and cheese recipe. This might be the one. The crumbs on top seem to take it up a notch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Again, Sherri, you make me so hungry! I hope you had a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello heaven! Thats all I have to say about that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks so yummy and perf for a cold day.

    xoxo navy & orange

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's nothing better than a big bowl of mac n' cheese when the weather turns cold!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sherri! This recipe looks delicious. I am definitely going to make it! But one question what are panko crumbs?Love and miss you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. ooooh, i'm in love. this looks absolutely delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum! I'm so glad you posted this...homemade mac n,cheese is one of the only things I can get my little guy to eat right now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks incredible! I'm pinning this to make in the next few weeks. Did you serve it with anything or was this your main dish? Just curious...

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks so amazing. It's pointless for me to make mac & cheese though because somehow my husband is convinced that nothing homemade is as good as Kraft in a box. I can never eat enough of the homemade stuff by myself to make it worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love macaroni and cheese with the bread crumbs on top. It gives it such a nice texture. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Girl! That looks so delicious! I love me some mac and cheese! MMMMMMMM! Perfect for the winter!

    Hope you had a great day! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  21. i want to love mac and cheese because it's awesome southern food, but as you know, i can't. however, i adore making it for those i love, because they love it so much. this recipe will be put to good use :) thank you sherri.

    ReplyDelete
  22. yaya this is so exciting. I've tried some not to awesome recipes and i'm determined to find a good one! I will be trying this...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks AMAZING! and perfect for this chilly weather here in europe. winter always has me craving comfort food :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. We just made mac and cheese from a box the other night, but this looks FAR better!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i love me some mac 'n cheese!!
    this looks absolutely delish! making my tummy rumble!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. your mac and cheese recipe makes me want to change what i had on the menu tonight and make this!! yes i think i will!

    ReplyDelete