Tuesday, September 27, 2011

My First Race


This past weekend I participated in my first race!  Caleb, my mom, my sister, my in-laws, and my sister-in-law all were running the 10-mile race, and somehow Caleb convinced me to sign up for the 4-miler.  I have always hated running so I just never do it.  I signed up because I hoped it would motivate me to start exercising - and it did!  I ran a few sporadic times over the summer, but since moving I've been running regularly.  So basically I trained for this race in two weeks and was not really prepared but that's okay!

The day of the race was perfect weather - it was pretty cool and very overcast.  I felt really good until I got to the first big hill, so I just decided I would walk all of the hills.  I think I ended up running half, maybe a little more than half of it. At one point a little kid with a cast on his arm passed me.  And then the arthritic old grandpa who was hunched over passed me.  But I didn't really care because I was out there doing something I never thought I would do!  

When I was close to finishing I saw Caleb on his way back!  I knew I wasn't going to be able to make it back to his finish line to watch him finish, so I was really excited that we at least got to see each other running and cheer for each other.  Close to the finish line my dad, my sister and her husband, and all my nieces and nephew were waiting to watch me finish!  That was seriously the most motivating part of the whole race!  I ended up finishing in 48:27, but since I walked about half of it I was pretty happy with that.

Caleb ran the ten-miler in 1:15 which I think is great!  He beat his goal which he was really happy with. Everyone in our group finished and did a great job!  It's really motivating for me to watch my mom and my mother-in-law run ten miles.  I don't know very many women in their 50s who run, let alone ten miles!

I don't think I can say running the race was fun, but I am very glad that I did it.  It's a good feeling to do something you never thought you would, and I'm glad that it pushed me to start running!

How was your weekend?

26 comments:

  1. this is awesome! while i love running, running a big race can be fun for anyone - there's so much excitement and other people to motivate you. and yes, i too have been passed by little boys in the yearly turkey trot i run. wouldn't worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow girl! thats awesome!! congrats on your first race!!

    Simplycamylla.blogspot.com
    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go!! Running is not my thing either but I really enjoy walking and biking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats girl! My husband runs, but I'm still not a fan..I've done some 5ks though. Maybe I need to get my butt in gear :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just to say you've ran a race is awesome! I've always wanted to be all cool and to say that to someone..haha I have hated running my whole life but started a few weeks ago and now I "kind of" enjoy it. Whew...never thought I would say that out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherri! I had no idea you were doing that, good for you!!! I've been trying to get back in to running regularly but it's been hard. I told Mom to sign me up for the Turkey Trot so I'll have something to motivate me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha so exciting and different!!! congrats! i want to participate on a race one day.. seems fun and healthy :)

    kisses,
    Teresa
    http://www.trend-ish.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wooohooo! Go Sherri! I'm so proud of the whole family! Thanks for posting a picture, it's fun to see you with that number on your shirt...who knows, maybe the Boston Marathon is in your future... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. YEAYYYY!!!! I agree with you the feeling after is the best! You feel so accomplished! Way to go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always wanted to do one, but not enough to actually do it LOL What a fun activity to do together. This picture is so fun of the both of you. I think I'll stick to stuffing my face with cupcake dates with my hub.

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! This sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you! And I agree, I think the best part is the accomplishing something you didn't think your body could do! Way to go! Keep it up and it'll get easier!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow congratulations sherri! that's awesome! i'm proud of you for doing it even though you only had like two weeks to train!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is awesome Sherri! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Accomplishing something like this is so great...I did a 10k years ago and that's still my claim to fame. But I am motivated to do another one! Congrats Sherri:-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Way to go!! I'm so not a runner, I get too bored, give me an elliptical and a tv and I can go for hours! Hope this is a new fun venture for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on your first race! That was so exciting and hope this will be the first of many more :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job! That is a really good time, especially for walking half! I remember a race I ran a few years back (and when I say ran I mean "jogged") I was so embarrassed when a 70yr old speed walker passed me, haha! I actually use to hate running too, but for some reason I got really into it in college and now its sort of addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's awesome! Congratulations!!! Feels so good participating in these - I love the feeling when you finish & you're proud as punch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is a huge accomplishment! I am so impressed, and it's so fun that you got to do it with your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Way to go! I don't love running either, but I do love the feeling of accomplishment when I'm done! It's what keeps me doing it again! Maybe you will keep it up! : )

    ReplyDelete
  22. YAY! So great to hear that you did it! You look great btw. So proud of you, Sherri! You done good!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations! Such a good feeling :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. way to go girly--that is so great~ cute pict too:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yay for you! That is quite an accomplishment! Love the photo - you look so proud :)

    ReplyDelete