Thursday, September 15, 2011

Chocolate Fudge Pie

Do you know what's hard?  All the important stuff.  Like marriage.  And family.  And learning to be selfless.  And figuring out what's right.  And then choosing to do the right thing.  It's exhausting!  So I eat pie.  Really, it's great. This chocolate pie is the dense kind, not the creamy kind.  And the dense kind is the kind you want when you're overwhelmed with the hard stuff in life.  Definitely the dense kind.


Chocolate Fudge Pie
1 piecrust, fitted to a 9-inch pie plate
6 ounces semisweet chocolate
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 eggs
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup + 3 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 cups heavy cream

Place the pie plate on a baking sheet.  Prick crust with fork and line with foil.  Place pie weights or dried beans on foil.  Bake at 375 degrees until the edges are firm, 20 to 25 minutes.  Remove the foil and weights and bake until just golden, another 8-10 minutes.

Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.  Using the double boiler method, melt the chocolate and the butter.

Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs, salt, and 1/2 cup of sugar until fluffy, 4-5 minutes.  Fold a third of the egg mixture into the chocolate mixture, then fold in the remainder.

Pour the chocolate mixture into the crust and bake at 325 degrees until puffed and just beginning to crack, 20-25 minutes.  Cool for one hour, then chill.

Beat the cream with the remaning 3 Tbsp of sugar until soft peaks form.  Spread over the pie.

source:  recipe from Real Simple, November 2009

20 comments:

  1. ohhh yum! This looks perfect for the day I'm having! Chocolate cures everything

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah pie is my go to, also. you're not alone in figuring it all out - it's not easy - so thank god for pie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha I eat chocolate for the same reasons! It seems to help :) Sherri this looks amazing! Fudge is my husbands #1 request each Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness you are beyond amazing! (hubby is so lucky!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummm...YUM! How did you know I was in the mood for chocolate pie?! :) I know what you mean though sometimes when life throws you a curve ball you need chocolate...lots and LOTS of chocolate :) I hope things are okay! I know you'll figure it out. *big hug*

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I'm stressed I eat pie, and anything else that involves sugar that happens to be in my kitchen! For the sake of my waistline I wish I was the type of person that would loose their appetite when stressed, haha!

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have such a weakness for chocolate. And if pie is involved? Forget about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, dense pie would make everything better. So would puppies, rainbows, (hanging out with me), eating candy, laying in the sunshine, not working, and I could keep going, but I'll stop now. Life is hard sometimes, but I'm here if you need me (to not talk about or talk about the hard stuff). So glad we're bloggy friends!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that must be a perfect remedy for all the hard things in life! Love your pie philosophy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds amazing! It's two of my favorite things...pie and chocolate! Definitely can't go wrong there...especially when like is less than friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh YUM!!! Chocolate anything is great when you're stressed, but the fudgy kind is the best :) Hope things start getting easier!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My sister-in-law makes an almost identical pie. My husband thinks it is the best treat ever made.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow that looks good and really rich!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I could eat pie more often but I seriously gain 5 pounds for every bite....it's a proven fact:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i am really craving chocolate... this looks like it could satisfy my craving!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my gosshhhhh!!!! i just imagined the flavor on my mouth :( enjoy.. looks delicious!!!

    kisses,
    http://www.trend-ish.com

    ReplyDelete