Thursday, September 22, 2011

Chicken with Cranberry-Mustard Sauce


I made this recipe last week for the first time, and it's now included in the rotation of our favorite recipes.   One of our favorite ways to eat pork is cranberry-dijon pork roast, so it was no surprise that we liked the cranberry/mustard flavor combination with chicken as well.  I love how the sauce thickens and becomes more of a glaze for the chicken. This would be delicious served over rice.  I did attempt this, but I've been known to ruin a simple pot of rice.  Real life, folks.

Chicken with Cranberry-Mustard Sauce
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 tsp onion powder
salt and pepper, to taste
4 Tbsp butter, divided
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup frozen cranberry juice cocktail concentrated, thawed
1/4 cup dried cranberries

Sprinkle chicken on both sides with onion powder, salt, and pepper.  Melt 2 Tbsp butter in large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add chicken and sauté until brown, about 5 minutes per side.  Using tongs, transfer chicken to plate.  

Add remaining 2 Tbsp butter to same skillet.  When the butter melts, whisk in flour and mustard; cook 1 minute. Gradually whisk in broth, cranberry juice concentrate, and cranberries.  Bring to a boil, whisking occasionally.  Boil until sauce thickens enough to coat the spoon, about 6 minutes.  

Return chicken to skillet.  Reduce heat to medium and simmer just until chicken is cooked through.  Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.  Remove chicken from skillet and spoon sauce over chicken to serve.

source:  recipe from Bon Appétit: Fast, Easy, Fresh

21 comments:

  1. girl - if you can make that, i got the rice. no problem. looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good combination of flavors! And I do love chicken!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sauce sounds delicious:) Have a lovely Thursday, Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog! Stumbled upon it today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this sounds fabulous! I do a chicken mustard dish but never with cranberry sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great... looks like very yummy comfort food! Maybe it should be paired with a cranberry martini!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum indeed, this looks amazing! And simple. The best combo.
    xo
    alexa
    www.theshortandthesweetofit.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um wow I'm definitely pinning this one. It looks amazing!

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh this looks so good!! Yay I'm excited to try it next week, didn't have anything new in mind for me menu yet. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! What a perfect fall meal! I wrote a post of how I measure and cook rice. Check it out! Hopefully it'll help. I've been cooking rice everyday since I was in first grade! :)
    http://drizzleofsunshine.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-cook-ricethe-finger-method.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. mmm, sounds awesome!! i can only make rice from a rice cooker :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That pic looks amazing! Chicken looks good too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oo I am totally going to try that with some fish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I ruined a pot of rice just last night! It's like, why is this so darn difficult?! Glad your chicken turned out super yummy tho!

    ReplyDelete
  15. holy momma! this looks amazing. making this...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really dislike cooking, but for this, I will totally make an exception. It looks soooo delish!


    Belly B :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never tried this combo and it looks amazingly good!

    ReplyDelete