Monday, April 18, 2011

Lessons in the Kitchen

Having spent so much time in the kitchen these last seven and a half months of married life, I have learned some valuable lessons.  Higher up on that list are the following:

1. Caleb loves pork.
2. Crock pot recipes are my best friend.

So, logically,

3. A crock pot pork recipe will be a winner.  Every time.

I think this recipe is my favorite pork recipe so far.  It takes about 3 minutes prep time.  Score.  And because it smells so delicious while cooking, when Caleb walks in the house after work it smells like I've been slaving in the kitchen all day. Score again.

Cranberry-Dijon Pork Roast
1 boneless pork loin roast (1.5 - 2 lbs)
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
1 can (14 oz) whole-berry cranberry sauce
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard

Place slow cooker liner in your crock pot.  If you haven't used these before, please do!  I like Reynolds. It makes cleanup so easy.  Place pork loin in crock pot.  In small mixing bowl, combine butter, soup mix, cranberry sauce, and mustard.  Stir to break up the cranberry sauce and make sure all ingredients combine well.  Pour on top of pork loin.  I try to keep most of it on the roast to give it the most flavor.  It eventually will slide off and cook in the juices, but initially start with it on top.  Put your crock pot to the 6-hour setting.  (On mine, it's the high/6 hour setting.  If yours only has high/low options, put it at low.  If after four(ish) hours it doesn't seem to be cooking, kick it up to high.)  Let cook for six hours.  I wasn't even able to slice this when it was done cooking; it fell apart into pieces because it was so tender.  Transfer meat to plate.  Ladle the juice into a bowl and serve to top the pork.  In our house this serves 2-4.  If you need more meat, just adjust sauce ingredients and cooking time accordingly.

Source:  recipe altered from Taste of Home Simple & Delicious, December/January 2011

8 comments:

  1. I love crock pot recipes and this one sounds so delicious. Totally going to try it. Thanks, darling

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!! I too, love crock pot recipes! Makes my life so much easier! Thanks for sharing yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks so yummy. x


    p.s. I'm having a giveaway on my blog right now for a necklace from pure jewelry if you'd like to check it out. xx
    devorelebeaumonstre.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. that sounds delicious! and easy enough for me to make :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found out you have a blog, we have one as well, check out http://www.hawkandgrits.blogspot.com. Crockpot cooking is my fav too, that sounds like a fantastic recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i just wrote this recipe down and its going in my recipe box! i currently have my first crock pot recipe cooking and i must say i'm a big fan already (hardly any work and a yummy meal!). i'm so glad you post recipes because then i get new ideas of what to cook for tim! love you friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Making this today in the crock pot....perfect for taking a meal to someone tonight! Thanks for posting such great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm trying this one tonight! Just a heads up! :)

    ReplyDelete