Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Baked Four-Cheese Farfalle with Chicken

While we were on vacation, I asked Caleb if he missed my cooking.  He said yes, he did, but that he mostly just missed being full.  My husband likes to eat frequently (read: snacks before and after dinner and in the middle of the night), so he really missed having a fridge full of food at his disposal.  Caleb loves pasta, so I tried this new pasta dish right after we got home.  I loved the blend of the different Italian cheeses!  If you're also a cheese lover, you will enjoy this dish!


Baked Four-Cheese Farfalle with Chicken
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, or 3-4 smaller ones
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 stick unsalted butter
2 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 (28-32 oz) can whole tomatoes in juice, drained (1 1/4 cups juice reserved) and finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 pound farfalle
2 1/2 cups coarsely grated mozzarella 
1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola
1/2 cup diced Fontina
1/3 cup grated parmesan Romano

Drizzle olive oil in sauté pan and allow to heat up.  Dice the chicken breasts into small pieces and cook in olive oil until cooked through.  Set aside.

Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over moderately low heat.  Add flour and cook, whisking, for 3 minutes to make a roux.  Add milk and reserved tomato juice in a slow stream, whisking, then bring to a boil, whisking constantly.  Stir in tomatoes, salt, and pepper and simmer until thickened, about 3 minutes.  Remove from heat.

Cook pasta al dente according to package directions; drain.

In a large bowl, stir together chicken pieces, pasta, sauce, mozzarella, Gorgonzola, and Fontina.  Transfer to buttered 3- or 4-quart shallow baking dish and sprinkle with parmesan Romano cheese.  Bake at 375 degrees until golden and bubbling, 25-30 minutes.  Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

source:  recipe altered from The Gourmet Cookbook

24 comments:

  1. that's so cute that he missed your cooking. and i'm with him on pasta. it's the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum yum! I love pasta and cheese so this is a win/win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely another one to bookmark! I love that you've always got these great, great recipes, Sherri! Have you ever made buffalo chicken? Not like wings, but the fried and covered in sauce kind?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My stomach just rumbled ... this looks wonderful. I love cheesy dishes!

    ❤ Cat brideblu

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm :) Your recipes are great, I love when you share them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sigh, this is truly what I need right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha too funny about missing being "full" that is SO my husband...he actually hates high end restaurants and always complains that he is not getting enough food lol! This looks so good..and filling! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. my husband is the exact same way!! wish i could eat like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds really good! Will definitely have to give this one a try...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sherri you always know how to make me hungry :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How do men eat so much!??? And it goes no where?!! This looks so yummy :) good joB!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks so tasty - my kids would have a field day they love cheese so much! Gotta bookmark!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha, I'm a snacker too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My brother-in-law is the same way! Loves his snacks - I wish I could snack and not gain weight! That looks delicious, hope you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha, hubs is the same~ recipe looks fantastic, you are inspiring me to cook!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So totally saving this recipe!!! looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! I always start craving home cooked meals when I'm on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds so good--4 cheese anything has my attention. Full attention.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG lady this looks amazing! Can I please come to your house for dinner! My GOODNESS it looks so yummmmy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You had me at 4-cheese. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yummy! I eat like Caleb :D

    This sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete