Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Ultimate Crumb Cake

I don't know how many times I've watched my dad eat Entenmann's Ultimate Crumb Cake.  On the weekends, on vacation, any time after he would make a trip to the grocery store for my mom; he just loves it.  And every time, he comments that there should be more crumbs.  When I saw this recipe for New York Style Crumb Cake, I knew I wanted to make it for my dad and make sure there were extra crumbs.  So I halved the cake part of the recipe and kept the full amount of crumbs.  Yes, this was an incredibly rich coffee cake.  If you're not into that, double the cake part of the recipe, and bake it in a 9x13 pan instead.  But if you can handle the crumbs, make this.

crumb cake, heavy on the crumbs


Ultimate Crumb Cake
For the crumb topping:
3 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 sticks unsalted butted, melted

For the cake:
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup buttermilk

Make the crumb topping:  Mix together flour, sugars, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.  Pour warm melted butter over mixture, and mix together until medium to large clumps form.

Make the cake:  Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat the butter and sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes.  Beat in eggs and yolks, 1 at a time, then vanilla.  Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour.  Continue to beat until well combined.

Spoon batter into greased baking dish (2.5 qt) and spread evenly.  Sprinkle crumb topping mixture evenly over batter.

Bake at 325 degrees until golden brown and toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 40-50 minutes.  Transfer pan to wire rack.  Let cake cool slightly, about 15 minutes.  Can be stored at room temperature for up to 5 days.

source:  recipe slightly altered from Martha Stewart Living, March 2011

24 comments:

  1. Looks (and sounds) delicious! I can't wait to try and make it! Hopefully it comes out right haha!

    :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love crumb cake... but i cant make it because i always eat the crumbs

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha my dad loooooves crumbcake too. must be a dad thing. this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Dad loves the crumb-cake too! He eats it for breakfast and desert! Can't wait to try this for my self! Thanks Sheri! - Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha I craved this so much when I was pregnant but our grocery stores didn't carry Entenmann's. I tried making my own and it was awful, so I am SO excited to try this recipe! Any thoughts on how to add a cream cheese center?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I've ever had crumbcake but it looks delicious..and the ingredients look wonderful! I'm going to have to start baking more :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGGGGG i love crumb cake. brown sugar is my boyfriend and i could eat it straight out of the bag (and sometimes do....). so delicious with coffee, yumm! thanks for sharing! :)

    xx sharon / lemonontherocks

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh WOW. this is like, my ultimate guilty pleasure. anything that pairs well with coffee, and this is it! can't wait to try it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOO, I love the crumbs on crumb cakes! I'm so guilty of picking off crumbs from pieces that aren't mine! This cake sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love crumb cake! I always eat the cake first then eat the crumbs second because they're the best part :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man this sounds so good! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. okay this looks delicious but my husband and I are trying to eliminate white sugar! arghhhhhh!! dilemma! haha

    love your blog, it is so cute, just like YOU--gorgeous!

    following!


    -ashley

    Adventures of Newlyweds

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooohhh I want crumb cake now! Looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This cake looks so delicious ! I like your blog cause it has a bit of everything =) Also, the wrap bracelet you made is gorgeous ! You're gifted ! If you want we could follow each other, let me know ! Kisses from Italy

    Fashion and Cookies

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ultimate crumb cake indeed! This makes Entenmanns' look bald. The ultimate gift from the ultimate daughter for her dad on Father's Day. Lots of crumbs and moist cake too, with lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow, this looks so delicious! I will have to try it :) thanks for sharing! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmmmm! This looks absolutely unbelievable.
    xo Josie
    www.winksmilestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. yum. looks so good. another amazing post love. be sure to swing by for all the latest celebrity fashion news as well as see pics of my latest celebrity trend report. xoxo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love crumb cake! Sounds like a great recipe to try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Crumbs are the BEST part. I am trying this!!! :) I love all your ideas.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh my goodness- that looks AMAZING. This post totally has me craving coffee and crumb cake! sixtwelveplace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh boy, that is definitely my kind of crumb cake. The bigger the crumbs the happier I am. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/06/sweets-for-saturday-21.html

    ReplyDelete