Monday, June 13, 2011

Summer Dinners

When it's warm summer weather outside, the last thing I feel like doing is spending a lot of time in a hot kitchen making dinner.  In the summer I want quick and easy recipes, and it's a bonus if there's fresh fruit or veggies on the side. When I saw this pulled pork recipe, I knew I had found a winner.  It takes 10-12 hours to cook, so I had everything in the crockpot by 8 that morning.  Then I chopped up some veggies to toss together a pasta salad and squeezed some lemons to make some strawberry lemonade (here).  Delicious summer dinner, hardly any prep, and the rest of my day to get other things done!


Crockpot Pulled Pork
1 large onion, sliced thin 
2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp paprika
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 (4-6 lb) boneless pork butt, shoulder, or loin (I used loin)
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar 
4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp garlic powder 
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Place onions in crockpot.  Rinse pork under cold water and pat dry with paper towels.  Place on top of the onions.  In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper; mix thoroughly.  Rub mixture all over the top side of the pork; then flip, and rub remaining mixture on the other side until it is well-covered.  

In a medium bowl, combine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, sugar, mustard, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper; whisk to combine.  Drizzle half of the vinegar mixture over the pork.  Cover and refrigerate remaning vinegar mixture.  Cover crockpot; cook on low for 10-12 hours.  

In the last 1/2 hour of cooking, pull the meat apart with two forks (this should be very easy to do).  Drizzle remaining vinegar mixture over pork, and re-cover for last 30 minutes of cooking.  Serve with your favorite BBQ sauce (Jack Daniels in this house!)  Serves 6-8.

Note:  This also freezes well.  Allow to defrost in fridge for 24-48 hours before heating and serving.

source:  recipe slightly altered from my baking addiction

17 comments:

  1. Now you've got me wanting some BBQ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. pulled pork is one of my favs (i guess that is what happens when you grow up in southeast VA!). i love it with tons of vinegar and a spicy sauce. i need to head to your place for dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a HUGE pulled pork fan!! Actually I like anything that's BBQ haha :) My dad makes an amazing pulled pork, he marinates it in apple juice and root beer--sounds weird, but I swear it's amazing. Your recipe sounds soo good, I want to eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i ate so much bbq this weekend, and i needed a good recipe for making it at home. the boy just got a slow cooker so maybe i can convince him to make this for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds wonderful! I need to expand my crockpot recipe collection. I hardly ever use it, but I think it would make my life easier. Maybe I will give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pulled pork. Everytime we go to a bbq joint I always get the pulled pork... so yummy

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the same way...hot weather = no burning desire to cook in a hot kitchen!! I love yummy crock pot dinners! This one is most definitely going on my " to make at a future date" list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree about not cooking in the summer! I am all for easy and cool summer recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crockpot cooking was invented with summer in mind :) Looks like a delish recipe :)

    ❤ Cat brideblu

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great recipe! I don't think I've ever made anything that takes more than 1 hour, but this doesn't look too scary! Also, thank you so much for the comment on my blog ^^ Hope you're enjoying a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. well I am extremely jealous that I do not have my crock pot with me because this looks great. and I was just saying I wanted to find a recipe for pulled pork. I guess it is one of the downfalls of traveling ;(

    looks delicious, enjoy it FOR me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum!

    I posted the gazpacho recipe! http://www.newlywedsnextdoor.com/2011/06/gazpacho-season.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looove pulled pork, though I don't get to eat it as often as I want. It just always seemed like one of those foods that would be too complicated to make.

    Following you via bloglovin now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to pick up a pork loin and give this a shot...the seasonings sound wonderful...and the crockpot is great in the heat of the summer (and I should use it for a change!) Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm desperate for good crock pot recipes. Does anyone ever have a problem with blandness?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Katie, most of the crock pot recipes I make have tons of flavor! I tend to stick to recipes with lots of good seasonings and/or sauce, so make sure my meat is not dry or bland.

    ReplyDelete