Tuesday, March 15, 2011

New Favorite Banana Muffins

Yes, I said it.  I have a new favorite banana muffin.  I even like these better than the Banana White Chocolate Muffins I have previously posted.  These are so moist, which is a vital part of my muffin rubric.  And they have the perfect amount of banana flavor: not too strong, not too bland.  So, please go buy some bananas.  Let them sit on your counter and ripen.  Then make these muffins.  STAT.

Banana Cream Cheese Muffins with Crumb Topping
For the muffins:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 bananas, mashed
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 Tbsp vanilla extract (that is not a typo; I mean Tbsp!)

For the filling:
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg

For the topping:
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp butter, melted

Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl.  Set aside.

In large bowl, mash the bananas.  Then add the sugar, egg, melted butter, and vanilla extract.  Combine well.  Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture, stirring until just combined.  Spoon batter into greased muffin tins, about 1/3 to 1/2 full.

Create the cream cheese filling by mixing together the cream cheese, egg, and sugar (I used the whisk attachment on my Kitchenaid mixer).  Pour a spoonful or two of the cream cheese mixture onto the batter in the muffin tins.  Top with a little bit more banana batter, trying to cover the cream cheese.

Create the topping by mixing together brown sugar, flour, and butter with fork until fine crumbs.  Sprinkle a spoonful of this mixture on top of the muffin batter.

Bake for 18-20 minutes at 375 degrees, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  Let cool 5 minutes in pans, then place on cooling rack.  When completely cooled, store in airtight container.  Makes 12-15 muffins.

I learned that it doesn't really matter how perfect you put the dollop of cream cheese in the middle, or how well you cover it up with the banana batter.  The point is to have a cream cheese surprise in the middle, but even with it swirled all around it makes the muffins extremely moist and more delicious.  Enjoy!



Source:  recipe from How To Simplify

7 comments:

  1. I will have to make this next week. I like box mixes because they are so easy to do, but I have the motivation to make those muffins regardless of how many ingredients it takes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look absolutely amazing!! I am going to have to try these soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great!! Nice choice. :) Unfortunately bananas are a whopping $10/kilo right now because of the flooding. YIKES. I think it may be worth it though. PS: excited to hear kristin's pregnant again!! :) Miss you lots girl - email me or let's skype!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the privilege of tasting one of these wonderful muffins when I visited Sherri this week! I'm now headed to my own kitchen to try this recipe, knowing my preparation will be much smoother since Sherri helped me organize my spice cabinet....thanks again, Sherri! Love you, Mama

    ReplyDelete
  5. These do kind of take a lot of ingredients, but they are so worth it! And as my mom found out when she made them, the batter and the cream cheese mixture are both very runny. I'm assuming that is how it is supposed to be, because they turned out perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made these this week for our staff team and they were warmed received!! everyone loved them - thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious recipe! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete