Monday, January 31, 2011

Another Week, Another Muffin Recipe

We go through muffins in this house much more quickly than I'd like to admit.  I actually had to make these on Friday, which means our 2 1/2 dozen pumpkin muffins lasted. . . not long enough.  The first time I made these banana muffins was for a brunch I had for my parents and in-laws.  They were a big hit.  Here's the recipe:

Banana White Chocolate Muffins
1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup white chocolate chips
3 large ripe bananas
1/2 cup unsalted* butter, melted and cooled
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla

In large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and white chocolate chips.  In medium-sized bowl, mash the bananas (I like using a potato masher).  Add the melted butter, beaten eggs, and vanilla; combine.  Lightly fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, just until combined.  Don't overmix; this will cause the muffins to be stiff.  Spoon batter into greased muffin tins.  Bake 20-25 minutes at 350.  Place on wire rack to cool for 5 minutes before removing muffins from pan.  Makes 12-15 muffins.

*A note on butter:  in baking you should always use unsalted butter.  Regular butter contains salt, and since each brand and variety of butter contains a different amount of salt, it's easiest to just always use unsalted butter when baking.  Too much salt in a recipe can overpower delicate ingredients, like herbs or vanilla.  If all you have on hand is salted butter, you might want to decrease the amount of salt in your recipe by a little.  It's best to try a recipe with either salted or unsalted, and see what should be altered to your liking.

Enjoy baking!  And Happy Monday!

Source:  recipe adapted from Joy of Baking.

4 comments:

  1. Mmm, those sound good! And I had an idea, like my Mug Mondays, you could have Muffin Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aimee, I actually thought of that the other day! But I'm afraid I would run out of muffin recipes and then start making some that we actually wouldn't even like.... but I am thinking about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherri, just wanted to let you know that this post along with your yellow post help inspire me to bake these muffins, tie pretty yellow ribbons around them in individual baggies, and take them around to my neighbors this morning. I ended up having some great interactions with them, and I think I was able to brighten many new friends' days. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete