Wednesday, May 3, 2017

What I read in April


America's First Daughter: A Novel // This was such a good book! It's historical fiction about Thomas Jefferson's daughter, but it's loosely based on letters from Thomas Jefferson's personal correspondence. There were parts of the story that I was familiar with, but much of it was new to me. It was all so interesting, and I really got swept up into both the historical facts and the fictional aspects that were added.  Definitely worth picking up! 4.5 stars


Girl Meets Change: Truths to Carry You through Life's Transitions // I am not one who loves change, so any big life change (even the good ones!) can be challenging for me. My sister has recommended this book several times, and after having Cora I knew it was time for me to read it. I really enjoyed the truths that Kristen shared in this book about change, how to view change, and how to trust in the God that never changes. If you're going through any type of change (a move, a new baby, a new marriage, a new job, etc.), I would recommend this book! 4 stars


You Are Free: Be Who You Already Are // I enjoyed this book while I was reading it, but I can't say it was deeply impactful or made a huge impression on me. The truths that Rebekah shares are good: we are free in Christ, and because of that, we are free to rest in the presence of Him, free to grieve and confess, and free to move forward into what God has called us to. If you feel bogged down by the expectations of others (or yourself) and are striving for approval, this might be a worthwhile read for you. 3 stars


The Girl on the Train // This is a book that needs no introduction, and I might have even been the last person on earth to have read it. Unfortunately I didn't really like it, and I definitely didn't think it was worth all of the hype! Paula Hawkins' next book Into the Water came out this week, but I don't feel inclined to read it. Just not the type of suspense novel that I enjoy! 2 stars


Peace Like a River // This was our book club book for April, and it was a book that I had had sitting on my shelf for quite some time. I had heard excellent things about the book, but I'm disappointed to say that I didn't like it. The story was a little too slow for me, and if it hadn't been for book club, I don't think I would have finished it. 2 stars

5 comments:

  1. I loved the reviews, the books seem to be great, thanks for the recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading and these books seems an amazing pick. Thank you for writing the reviews they are going to be my next pick soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how do you get this type of ideas?? i mean this is totally unique and amazing.
    I am sorry quotes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep it up nice work and nice your writing skill.status on love

    ReplyDelete