Wednesday, September 2, 2015

What I Learned // August 2015

It's time for another "What We Learned" post! August went by in a blur, and here are I few of the things that I learned (and remembered that I learned).


1. Adult coloring books are all the rage. As a kid I loved coloring, and even through high school and college I always had (and still do have) coloring books on hand. I've always found coloring so relaxing, but not until last month did I purchase my first adult coloring book. I have this one and this one and love them. Apparently there are several adult coloring books at the top of the list of bestselling books on Amazon!


2. The process of a project is still painful and unenjoyable to me. We emptied out our bonus room and have started renovating it to be a playroom for Madeleine. Caleb has been ripping down the walls and ceiling and working on re-insulating, and even though all I've done is look at paint colors, I'm tired of it. I don't like making decisions (which paint color, what type of insulation, how much should we DIY vs. contract out, etc.), and I don't like that our guest room is currently full of boxes that we need to figure out where to put. It's always been challenging for me to enjoy the process (of pretty much anything!), so this project is again stretching me to learn that. I also learned that there are different types of insulation and they have different ratings (ex: R-30). 


3. Dressing little girls is just the best. In all honesty I learned this immediately after we brought Madeleine home from the hospital, but it just keeps getting more and more fun! Madeleine is such a good sport to let me take pictures of her in all of my her favorite outfits. And now she's transitioning into the next size of clothes, so it's an entire new wardrobe! Being a baby is awesome.


4. Things are not always as they seem. I stepped back and captured this picture while I was shooting for Monday's post, and it reminded me of this truth. The bright, colorful shot of the muffin looked great, but in reality it was taken on the floor of my dining room, with dirty dishes and towels right out of the frame. It was a good reminder to me to give grace to others, because I can't see or know the full picture of their lives, and a reminder to also not envy others whose lives seem picture-perfect. There's always more to the story than we can see.

What did you learn in August? There's still time to join in Emily's link up

1 comment:

  1. #4 - truth! I am not great at coloring (don't care enough about staying in the lines) but I tend to doodle when I'm bored and have paper in front of me. This might be a good idea to bring to class with me... http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Garden-Inky-Treasure-Coloring/dp/1780671067/ref=zg_bs_books_2

    ReplyDelete