Friday, June 5, 2015

House Tour: Nursery


I'm so excited to share pictures of the nursery today! This was by far my favorite room to decorate in our house. Mostly because it meant getting ready for our little girl! Click through to see more pictures...



When we moved into our house, we knew this room would eventually become the nursery. We have affectionately called it "the baby room" for three years now, but now there is an actual baby on the way! Here is the room when we moved in, painted a shade of blue that I am not a fan of...


...and here is the room now, all ready for our little girl!












When I was thinking about how to decorate the nursery, I had a hard time deciding which direction to go. I knew I wanted something pretty simple. I wanted furniture and decorations with a lot of clean lines, and I wanted lighter pieces in the room to complement all of the natural light the room gets. I am not a big fan of traditional nursery themes, so I knew I would just have to choose a few colors to work with. I didn't want to pick anything that I would easily tire of, and I wanted to pick colors that would be easy to find and decorate with. I decided to go with pale pink and white, with accents of gold and black. It was pretty easy to find items I liked that were these colors, and I had so much fun putting everything together.

One of the hardest parts was finding the right shade of pink paint. We sampled tons of colors, and they were always too pink or too white. We finally found this shade that I absolutely love! (It's actually a little bit lighter in person than even these pictures show.) Once we finally nailed down a color, Caleb painted every inch of the room--from the baseboards and ceiling to the walls and closet doors. It made the room look so fresh and clean!

Next up I ordered the curtains (they were on backorder for two months), and Caleb started working on building the furniture. We had briefly looked at dresser/changing table combos and did not find anything that we were happy with in our price range. So many of the pieces were not sturdy or seemed too small. Caleb is very talented and can make anything my heart desires, so we decided he would make the furniture (except for the crib). I sketched out what I was looking for in a bookshelf, and Caleb put it together in no time. He designed the dresser after a similar one at Pottery Barn Kids (see sources below), and he actually just finished in a couple of weeks ago. It was quite the project! 

While Caleb was building the dresser, I set out to find a crib. While I love this one, I was not a fan of the price tag. I was so happy to find a similar one for a fraction of the price. It was also tricky finding a glider. I wanted a glider very light in color, which is surprisingly difficult to find. I also was trying to stick within our nursery budget, which made it a little more difficult. There were none in town that I liked, so I was stuck with ordering online, without seeing it in person first. The first one I ordered was a flop because it was the wrong color, but I nailed it with the second one. 

The decorations were the really fun part of the room. I diligently looked for a lamp that had gold in it for several months and finally found both a base and a shade I could mix and match. The rugby stripe bins were on my registry, and I picked up little odds and ends at Home Goods and Target. We spray painted basic curtain rods gold, as well as the print frames. I found the "Love Never Fails" print in a shop my sister told me about, and I actually already had the Rifle Paper Co print leftover from a previous project that it didn't quite work with. The other wall pieces are wooden signs that my friend made for me as decorations for one of my baby showers! She has amazing talent and custom made these signs for me, knowing they would match my nursery colors. She then let me keep them as part of my gift, and they are the perfect addition to the nursery!

I am so, so happy with the way the nursery turned out, and I cannot wait to bring my baby girl home to it! Thanks so much for letting me share!

sources: paint: Behr in "Hush Pink" | curtains: Land of Nod | crib: Target | crib bedding: Target | blanket: crocheted by me | wooden signs over crib: Olive + Grey | glider: Wayfair | pillow: Target | Love Never Fails print: Lindsay Letters | bookshelf: designed by me + built by Caleb, inspiration from Oeuf + CB2 | tassel garland: made by a friend as a baby shower decoration | lamp base: Target | lamp shade: Target | | gold flower bowl: Home Goods | hairband organizer: Home Goods | floral heart print: Rifle Paper Co | piggy bank: Target | black rugby stripe bins: Amazon | wooden rainbow stacker: Melissa & Doug | wooden birdie stacker: gifted | wooden alligator: Buy Buy Baby | wooden zebra: Pottery Barn Kids | dresser: designed + built by Caleb, inspiration from Pottery Barn Kids | white + black basket: gifted | changing pad cover: aden + anais | wooden signs over dresser: Olive + Grey 

2 comments:

  1. So simple and stylish!! Love that the colors can grow with Madeleine and aren't restricted to just being a "baby" room. My favorites are the curtains (and gold curtain rods!), the lamps, and the bebe & chinese signs :) Also, I don't think I knew you crochet! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really wanted to steer clear of that baby look and I'm pleased with how it ended up. I hope she will like the colors as she gets older!

      Delete