Friday, February 28, 2014

Easy Skillet Lasagna

As much as I like to cook, the classics are sometimes the things I never get around to making (I did finally make my first apple pie about a year and a half ago though!): things like pot roast, chicken noodle soup, and lasagna. To be fair, pot roast and chicken noodle soup are not my favorite foods in the world, but I do love lasagna. But let's be real: the last thing I feel like doing after work is diving into a lasagna recipe. This skillet lasagna, however? I'm all over it. It really only took 30 minutes to make, and it perfectly satisfied my Italian craving.

Skillet Lasagna
8 oz farfalle (bowtie) pasta, uncooked
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
2 Tbsp water
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
12 ounces Italian sausage
1/3 cup chopped yellow onion
2 cans (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with basil, garlic & oregano, undrained
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt. Meanwhile, combine ricotta cheese, water and pepper in small bowl; set aside.

Heart large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and onion; cook 3-5 minutes or until sausage is crumbled and onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Drain. Add undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese and cooked pasta to skillet; stir to combine.

Dollop spoonfuls of ricotta mixture on top of pasta mixture. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 2-3 minutes or until ricotta mixture is hot and mozzarella cheese melts. Serves 6.

At Publix now through March 5, you can find extra savings on all the ingredients you need for great Italian meals. Find more Italian recipes + savings information here.


Disclosure: The information and prize pack have been provided to me by General Mills through Platefull Co-Op. All opinions are 100% my own.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. I think I would miss the traditional lasagna noodles, but I also don't make the hard core lasagna on a regular basis, so maybe I'll have to add this alternative to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is AWESOME. awesome awesome. thank you so much for sharing this! p.s. i didn't know if i tell you but i know make a salad every monday night for brian and i using leftover bacon + roast chicken from our sunday brunch and sunday dinner, inspired by your recent salad post. as summer comes i know i'll be able to add some more produce, but it's just been a great lifesaver on a monday when i'm tired and the thought of turning on the oven is the last one i have. thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete