Monday, January 14, 2013

DIY Coconut-Citrus Sugar Scrub





Last winter I shared one of my winter skin care tips for battling how DRY my face gets in the winter. Today I'll share my little tip for keeping the rest of my skin moist and smooth, even during the winter months: sugar scrub! Sugar scrub is the easiest thing to throw together at home, especially since you probably already have most of the ingredients. Sugar scrub in its most basic form is sugar and some sort of oil; I like using safflower or sunflower oil because it doesn't have a scent like olive oil tends to have. A few drops of essential oil gives your scrub a fresh scent, but the best part of this sugar scrub is the coconut oil. Organic coconut oil is an excellent moisturizer for all types of skin, but especially for dry skin. Coconut oil can also prevent wrinkles and sun damage that is caused by sun exposure.

DIY Coconut-Citrus Sugar Scrub
1 cup raw sugar
1/2 cup safflower oil
10 drops essential oil (I used grapefruit)
2 Tbsp coconut oil

In a bowl, combine the sugar and the oil. Add more or less oil depending on how oily you like your scrub. Mix in the coconut oil until well combined. Add the essential oil to get the desired strength of fragrance. Scoop mixture into container. To use, slather across hands and body for fresh, smooth skin; rinse with water. Not recommended for use on face.

(coconut oil info from well-being secrets

9 comments:

  1. This sounds fantastic! I definitely just pinned this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I can smell how delicious that is from here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing! I'm always looking for natural ways to moisturize my face, skin, and hair. Where do you buy your coconut oil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got my coconut oil at Walmart; it was with all the other cooking oils.

      Delete
  4. I think I might give this a try. I want to have some pretty things in jars around my tub in the bathroom(stuff that I would actually use) and this would be perfect! Coconut oil is going on the grocery list for next month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cool! I have head of making your own scrub before and you just made it sound very easy. Coconut oil has so many uses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh this looks quite luxurious. looks like i need to go pick up some coconut oil.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds great and I always love how the smell of coconut oil makes me think I'm lying away sunbathing in paradise!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. coconut oil has changed my life - my skin used to get so dry in the winter! This scrub sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete