Friday, August 31, 2012

Things You May Not Know About Me

So this is probably the longest and most personal post of mine to date.  Last week Laura from Real Home Living tagged me for The Liebster Award (fun fact: Laura and I went to college together!), and even though I don't normally do these things, I thought it might be fun for something different.  I've really enjoyed getting to know other bloggers in the blogging community, so! here goes:



The Rules
1. Create a blog post including 11 random facts about yourself
2. Answer the 11 random questions from the blogger who nominated you
3. Pass the award on to at least 5 blogs and link to them in the post
4. Let the people know you nominated them


1. I started learning Chinese at the age of 11, when my family moved to China.  I absolutely loved the language and stuck with it, studying it in college as well.  I took French in high school, and I also studied Arabic in college, but never excelled in or enjoyed either of them like I do Mandarin.

2. I am not athletically inclined.  I really enjoy swimming and I was on my high school swim team, but if it requires some sort of athletic equipment count me out.

3. I'm afraid of all of the typical things:  spiders, drowning, small spaces, outer space, bats, a bank robbery happening while I am at the bank, etc.

4. Caleb and I have known each other most of our lives, but we didn't start dating until after college.  Then we dated for four months, got engaged, and got married five months after that!

5. I have my nose pierced.  Sometimes it's hard to tell in pictures so you may or may not already know this.  When I was in middle school I had a friend who lived in Pakistan who had her nose pierced, and I was so jealous!  I never stopped wanting a nose ring, so I finally got it pierced when I was in college.  It really hurt!  I still have it in and I don't know if I'll ever take it out.

6. In college I studied International Relations with a focus in World Politics and Policy.  Right now I'm not using my degree at all.  I'm working at a law firm!  It's something that I never thought I would do but I've learned a lot.

7. When we got married I knew I wanted to take Caleb's last name but I hated the thought of giving up my maiden name altogether.  So I moved my middle name (Lynn) to be part of my legal first name, Sherri Lynn.  I made my maiden name my middle name and took Caleb's last name.  So now my name is really long and Caleb thinks it confuses everyone (ok I guess it does) but I'm really happy that I did it that way.

8. I'm really bad at fixing my hair.  Like every day it basically looks the same.  If I were really rich I would have a personal hair stylist.

9. Last year I met Michelle Obama!  (You can read the story here) I remember thinking two things: 1) She is really tall and 2) One day when we have kids and I tell them I met Michelle Obama when she was the First Lady, they will think I am old.

10. I still eat like I'm 5 years old.  I love mac & cheese, juice boxes, and frosted animal crackers.

11. I not so secretly want to have twins!  I know it would be a lot of work, but one pregnancy and two kids sounds like some sort of BOGO deal to me.  Caleb does have twins in his family so I'm praying we will too :)

ok and now for Laura's questions:

1. What is your current ringtone?
Something generic and boring that came with my phone.  I never change my ringtone because when it starts playing I never realize it's my phone that's ringing!

2. Favorite thing to do on a Friday night?
Dinner & a movie.  By the time Friday rolls around we are tired from work and not up to doing much.  I love just relaxing and thinking about the weekend that's ahead!

3. What do you usually have for breakfast?
A simplified version of this green smoothie.  I was anti-green drinks for a long time, but it is so refreshing and actually fills me up.

4. Do you have any superstitions? 
No I don't think so!

5. If you had to do it over again what would you study in school?
I loved what I studied, but if I had to choose something else it would probably be speech therapy.

6. What TV shows are you into right now?
Nothing's really on now, but this spring/summer I was super into Mad Men!  I watched all five seasons back to back.

7. What's the last concert you went to?
Jack Johnson!  I met up with some of my college girlfriends for a girls' weekend and it was so fun!

8. What was your first AIM screen name?
lilsnowflake728 - a rough translation of my Chinese name, which meant beautiful snow

9. Favorite birthday memory?
My 21st.  I was studying abroad in China and a bunch of my girlfriends and I went to our favorite/the only Mexican restaurant in the city for much-missed Mexican food and half-price margaritas.  We had signed a contract for our program that we wouldn't speak English all summer, so I thought it would be a total drag to have my entire birthday in Chinese, but it was super fun and I will never forget it.

10. What was your first paying job?
I started working from home doing medical transcription when I was in high school.  My dad taught me everything and I worked for him at first and then slowly transitioned to other doctors.  I ended up doing medical transcription for nine years (wowza!).  It was a really flexible and nice job.

11. If someone gave you $500 for no reason, what would you spend it on?
Decorating our house!  We still have several rooms without furniture and other rooms need more decorations and painting.  

And my questions for them:
1. Why did you start blogging?
2. What's your favorite way to exercise?
3. What is your morning routine?
4. When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?
5. Are you saving up for anything special/specific right now?
6. Would you rather have an entire closet full of shoes or purses?
7. What is your most memorable vacation?
8. If you could choose, where would you want to live next?
9. What is your favorite holiday?
10. What is your biggest pet peeve?
11. Where is your favorite place to shop?

whew if you made it to the end I applaud you!  Have a great long weekend!  xx

9 comments:

  1. This was so fun to read, and I'm glad to get to do it too! It'll just be a week before I can get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was great! I love getting to know little known/random facts about other people. I'm mostly surprised by you learning Mandarin. Are you fluent at it? And yeah, Friday nights - dinner and a movie all the way. Perfect way to unwind from a busy work week.

    Thanks for tagging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved learning more about you! Thanks for participating!! I love that you know Chinese. I feel like not many people in the US have an appreciation for Chinese culture (other than their amazing food) and I think it's so neat that you've lived there and you love it!

    I like what you did with your legal name - I would have kept my middle name in there somehow too if it wasn't so long :) But with Lynn it works like that!

    I want to have twins too! I've always thought it would be cool (besides being stressful and completely overwhelming). My mom's siblings are twins so I could very well have them since they skip generations. I hope we both get our wish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, Sherri, I remember your 21st birthday! What a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww thanks for tagging me! I loved learning more about you...Mandarin, your name, wanting twins...all new facts I did not know! Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like these kinds of posts because I get to learn so much!!!! I always thought you either had a nose ring or either always had a spec on your nose...in the same spot....in every picture..hmmm now I think I'm silly for thinking that LOL

    Happy long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was great, Sherri! I think I just might have to do it--thanks for tagging me! I love that you said you still eat like a 5 year old! Do you want me to bring extra animal crackers to the beach?

    ReplyDelete
  8. i still have to do this - thanks for the reminder! i think your chinese background is so cool (and leads to one of the coolest 21st birthdays i've ever heard about). i, too, would looooove to have twins - my aunt had twins when i was little girl and ever since then i've been obsessed. it's a pipe dream, but man would i love it! also - i thought i had noticed a nose-piercing in some of your photos! you are too cool for school sherri lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved learning all of these fun facts about you! I think I did know that your nose was pierced, and I also wear my hair the same way all the time...lol I also had no idea though that your courtship with Caleb was so short! :) I think it's romantic!!!

    ReplyDelete