Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Chocolate Bourbon-Spiked Banana Bread



I've spent lots of time in my kitchen making banana bread.  I've added zucchini and loaded it with chocolate, I've mixed in cream cheese, and even thrown in caramel too.  But never have I ever added bourbon to my banana bread. And I've been missing out!  This is the first recipe I've made from the (newly published) Joy the Baker Cookbook and it was amazing!  The bourbon adds this wonderful extra flavor that I never knew banana bread was missing. 

Chocolate Bourbon-Spiked Banana Bread
2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened 
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3)
1 tsp lemon juice
3 Tbsp bourbon
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (I omitted these)
1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips

Place a rack in the center of the oven and heat to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour an 8x4 or 9x5-inch loaf pan.  Set aside.

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.

In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes.  Add eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute between each addition.  Stop the mixer, scrape down the sides of the bowl and add bananas, lemon juice, and bourbon.  Beat until well incorporated.

Turn the mixer to low and add the flour mixture all at once.  Beat until almost incorporated.  Stop the mixer and remove the bowl from the mixer.  Add the walnuts and chocolate chips and incorporate the rest of the ingredients with a spatula.

Spoon the mixture into the loaf pan.  Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.  Remove from the oven and allow loaf to cool in the pan for 20 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.  Bread will keep for up to 5 days, well wrapped, at room temperature.

source:  recipe from Joy the Baker Cookbook

14 comments:

  1. ahhh - thank you! i love banana bread with chocolate chips but, of course, never thought to add bourbon. i will try this the next time around (and yes, omitting nuts is the way to go).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy-yummy! This looks so good I could eat it from my computer. Happy Wednesday my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is new to me too! I just might have to look into that cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh yum! You are quite the baker!! I bet your husband LOVES this! Looks like a mist try recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I guess I need to pick up some bourbon then, now don't I? I LOVE chocolate chip banana bread. Oh I also think I need to pick up some bananas... Kind of a key ingredient. This doesn't count as a sweet right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Banana bread is my ultimate weakness! I'm going to NEED to try this!

    xo Jackie
    ...livingaftermidnite

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's amazing how much liquor just makes like taste better lol.

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds fantastic! I love banana bread especially with chocolate chips! I have never thought to add zucchini to the bread either! I am going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my jaw just dropped. This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious! I never would have thought that bourbon would make that much of a difference, but I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that looks so yummy! my husband is a banana bread man, so we make it a lot! lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man, I've made many variations on banana bread but I've never added bourbon to it! I NEED to try this! Yummm :)

    ReplyDelete