Thursday, February 16, 2012

Reading, Lately


During the winter Caleb and I like to sometimes read in the evenings (yes, we act like an old married couple).  I am so thankful I married a man who likes to read because I don't know what I would do without big chunks of time to read! The past few weeks I've been reading an insane amount, and I've loved every minute of it.  I've been trying to finish reading all of the books I own before I go out and buy more books, and these are the ones I've enjoyed lately.

The Glass Castle:  I don't know why it took me so long to finally read this book, but it was so good!  I love memoirs, and this one was no exception.  It was really sad, but it made me so thankful for my own family.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn:  I read this and The Glass Castle back to back, and I found them kind of similar.  Both were about girls in very difficult family situations, without money, and working hard for what they each wanted.  I also really loved the way the neighborhoods in Brooklyn were described in this book; I felt like I could totally picture what life was like there and I liked that.

Tender at the Bone: I read this one and also Comfort Me with Apples and enjoyed learning more about Ruth Reichl's life.  Honestly neither was my favorite food memoir of all time, but I did enjoy the easy read.

Jane Eyre:  I'm still reading this one, but I really like it so far!  Usually it takes me a while to get into a classic, but this one has been so easy to read and I'm really into the story.  If you're unfamiliar with the story, it's pretty dark and sad, but I like it.

Outliers:  I love anything by Malcolm Gladwell so I really enjoyed this book.  It's all about why and how people succeed, the reasons he gives much deeper than hard work and determination.  I thought it was really interesting to read the parts on Steve Jobs and Bill Gates and how their lives were perfectly set up for them to be successful. 

Orange is the New Black:  I have to give Darby all the credit for my enjoying this book; she highly recommended it and I wasn't disappointed.  It was SUCH a fascinating read about life inside of a women's federal prison.  I had no idea how prisoners spend their time or what their relationships with other prisoners or guards are like, so it was really interesting to hear about it.

What have you been reading lately?  Once I finish Jane Eyre I'm looking for some new good reads!

18 comments:

  1. I just finished reading the Hunger Games and am currently in the middle of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Life of Pi :)

    My boyfriend loves to read too- it truly is a blessing! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read "The Glass Castle" a few years ago and loved it as well! My husband it's into reading much but I've been trying to get him more excited about it! Thanks for the great book suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved Glass Castle & Tender at the Bone! I'm so needing a good book right now - two that I really enjoyed recently were Cutting for Stone and State of Wonder by Ann Patchett. Orange is the new Black sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the shout-out. So glad you like it; now I've got to check some of these out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at you on a roll with all this reading! I buzzed through 4 books in January, and I'm struggling to get through one this February. Maybe I just needed some new recommendations :) Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane Eyre is a favorite of mine! Glad you're enjoying it. Right now, I'm reading Kitchen Confidential by Mr. Bourdain. He's so raw, politically incorrect and crude. So naturally, I'm LOVING it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Glass Castle is one of my absolute favorite books. If you like it, you will love Half Broke Horses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sadly lately I've been reading my university books =/ I've heard before some of the books u mentioned but read none of them!! Now I really want to, thanks for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm still working on the second book from the hunger games. i also read the glass castle and loved, and it's been awhile since i read a tree grows in brooklyn but i'd love to read it again. i have also wanted to read outliers for a really long time. so much to read!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm always so happy when you post about new books you've read because it gives me great ideas- sometimes i'm always at a loss for what to read. :)

    i just recently read the pact by jodi picoult- couldn't put it down!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm currently rereading "Chocolat" by Joanne Harris and I'm waiting on a couple of books I bought off of Amazon..."The Paris Wife" by Paula McLain, "Sonata for Miriam" by Linda Olsson, and " A Literate Passion: Letters of Anais Nin & Henry Miller". I too am blessed with a hubby that loves to read, even if it's only his role-playing game books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhh Jane Eyre! Such a great novel - have you seen any of the movies?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sherri, I remember talking about finding a guy who loves to read with you even before things worked out with Caleb :) Glad to hear it's going well and many books are getting checked off the lists. I'm hoping for a guy with that quality as well because I read A TON!
    Recently, I've been reading The Complete Stories by Flannery O'Conner, The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins, Sons and Lovers by D.H. Lawrence and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte.

    I would recommend all of them!

    Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  14. also, forgot to add, jane eyre is my favorite book EVER, hope you enjoy it :)

    janelle

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm taking notes b/c I am in between books. I am hearing lots of good things about The Glass Castle!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is my favorite book. I've read it each year since I was 12. Listening to it on CD from the library was a trip-I loved the Brooklyn accents.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great reads! I'm getting ready to start something news .. thinking about Jane Eyre. It is long and will take me forever to get through it. Glad to hear it's an easy read.

    leslie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved The Glass Castle! Have you read her other memoir Halfbroke Horses? It's also sad, but a great story. I have just started reading again this month and it feels great. Right now I'm reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. It mixes memoir with science.

    ReplyDelete