Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Food Memoirs

I've been on a food memoir kick lately (thisthisthis, and this), and The Gastronomy of Marriage is the latest one I've read.  I don't remember where I first saw this title, but I was drawn to it and knew I would like it.  I love the way Michelle Maisto describes the dishes she and her fiancé are making.  "I break up the dried spinach and add it to the ricotta batter along with more salt, ground pepper, a pinch of nutmeg, and the thin ribbons of basil, and then spread the mixture down the centers of eight somewhat cooled lasagna noodles, rolling them gently so their fillings stay inside.  The finished rolls, with their spiraling green interiors and little fluted edges all pointed north, are pretty in the white casserole, with its thin layers of red sauce on top and below."  When someone can describe food and make it sound appetizing without a picture, I'm sold.  In addition to her writing about food, she's learning about compromise and what it takes for two people with different backgrounds, preferences, and even eating styles to live together.  She says, "It's one thing to know how to be together, and it's another to learn when to be apart."  So true.  Sometimes you just need space.  Anyway, I loved this book and if you like food or reading about food, you would probably like it too.  However, since reading this book and Girl in Translation, I've been in a book rut.  I keep starting books and putting them down.  What book should I read next?  I want book suggestions!

P.S. Happy First Day of Summer!  Have you entered to win a popsicle making kit?

15 comments:

  1. i have a kitchen shower coming up soon, i think i should give her this book too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a memoir fan too, but have not heard of food memoirs before (maybe I'm a sheltered memoir fan?). Thank you for this recommendation, I will have to check it out. I just finished reading, "It could be worse, you could be me" by Ariel Leve....I wouldn't consider myself a pessimist at all (not even close), but I found myself literally l-0-l-ing when I read this memoir. Also last summer I read "Orange is the new black" by Piper Kerman. I saw it advertised in People magazine so I got it, thinking that it was going to be a fashion memoir (I was SO wrong). Instead, it was a woman's journey through the US prison system (actually during the time that Martha Stewart was on trial). I learned sooo much and definitely have a new eye and compassion for the prison system. Those are the best memoirs I have read lately. Let me know if you decide to read them and thank you for your food memoir review :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good book to flip through (not so much a story telling book) is The Gentle Art of Domesticity. A lot of eye candy and inspiration.

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is definitely a talent! Happy first day of summer to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that description sounds divine! Sounds like a good read. I just finished "The Help" and I started reading a couple others, but nothing has caught on! I swear, there are not enough hours in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good book!

    I really loved Memoirs of a Geisha, it's a beautiful book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! She's an incredible writer. To make food sound beautiful like that certainly gets two thumbs up in this girl's world :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. great book recommendation. i haven't heard of that book but i am with you. her description of food has me sold.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great book. I just put a bunch of new reads on my Kindle...the new Erik Larson, and the new Geraldine Brook's book. I read Unbroken this spring and LOVED it.

    Here is the list of books our book club has read:

    http://tri-bbooklist.blogspot.com/2009/06/how-to-make-american-quilt-whitney-otto.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great book! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sold on this book now! It is a rare talent to make food sound so appealing without a picture!

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you're looking for a food book that will have you drooling, you have to read Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights (I've mentioned this book way too many times!). It's part cookbook, part memoir but it's all delightful. I'm reading it over and over because I want to absorb at least a little bit of her lovely writing style. She makes everything sound so tempting with just a few simple words. And the photos are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This book sounds great. I put it on my list. If you haven't read 'my life in france' by Julia Child you def should!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A million thanks for your sweet words, Sherri! (Rich, my one-man PR team, found your post.) I'm thrilled you enjoyed the book -- and am so happy for the introduction to your blog! (I'm totally trying those zucchini sandwich cookies —- and am so jealous you met Michelle Obama!) xx, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought about trying this recipe but it looked complicated so I just ordered it form restaurant. Result was a solid and tasted is like wow. Chowringhee Restaurant in South campus | Online Food Delivery Order south campus

    ReplyDelete