Wednesday, January 11, 2017

DIY Matching Game

Last week I shared a picture of the matching game I made Madeleine on Instagram, and I got a lot of feedback and interest in how I made it! I thought I would share it here, as well.

One of my 2016 goals was to learn to sew. I have a sewing machine and my mom has offered many times to teach me how to sew, but I have always told her I didn't want to learn until I had kids. So last year was the year! I really wanted to make Madeleine a matching game that would last, rather than the card matching games you can buy at the store. I also wanted a really pretty game that could be a keepsake and could be passed down to her kids, etc.


This is the majority of the pieces - there are 40 in total (20 pairs). It was so much fun picking out the different fabrics! This is a project that requires a lot of cutting, as there are several different pieces for each finished square piece. My mom helped me with a lot of the sewing part, and I'm so happy with how it turned out. There are definitely some uneven lines and crooked seams (because of me, not my mom), but I love it. I think it's so pretty, and I'm excited for Madeleine to learn how to find matches on her own.

If you'd like to make your own game, here are the instructions. They were easy to follow, and I did pretty much what they said except for choosing a variety of my own fabric bundles. 

1 comment:

  1. Sherri, I just love this! You did a fantastic job and it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete