Monday, January 16, 2017

2017 Reading Resolutions

I've struggled to make goals for this year, which is really unusual for me. I think it's because I'm about to have a second baby, and I'm not quite sure what my life will look like for the next several months. I'm trying to have really low expectations of myself as I make this transition, which has made me hesitant to make goals. So, instead of making several big goals for the year like I normally do, I've found that I've been thinking more categorically and focusing on one area at a time. Here are my 2017 reading resolutions, an idea that I've stolen from Annie Jones and the From the Front Porch podcast.



Read 75 books // Last year I had the same goal, and I surpassed it to read 91 books! I think this year my goal might be a little harder to reach, since I'm about to walk through those newborn months of little sleep and little free time. I'm hopeful that I will still make time to read (per my own tips on making time!), and I'd love to read at least 75 books this year. 



Read 1-2 non-fiction books per month // I found that I didn't read as much non-fiction last year as I had hoped. I am typically reading at least one non-fiction book and one fiction book at a time, but I breeze through the fiction so quickly and often leave the non-fiction unread for days or weeks at a time. I want to do better this year and be more intentional about picking up the non-fiction books that are on my shelf.



Work my way through The One Year Praying through the Bible for Your Kids // I admit that I am not one to typically do these types of devotional books. But, the publisher sent me a copy of this book, and I really like Nancy Guthrie, so I'm giving it a try! I feel so overwhelmed at all there is to pray for regarding my children, so I really like that this book helps guide my prayers for my girls. I also love that she uses the entire Bible throughout the year to pray specifically for your kids. I've really enjoyed reading it so far this month, and I'm hoping to stick with it for the rest of the year.


Stay on top of my monthly reading recaps // I love writing the monthly reading recap blog posts! It's a great way for me to document what I've read and how much I enjoyed the books, and I really love hearing back from you all that you enjoy hearing my recommendations and that you've read a book I include in my recap. There were quite a few months that I was really late on posting my monthly lists, and that made it harder and harder for me to give an accurate recap. I'm hoping to do better this year!



Incur fewer overdue fees at the library // Ugh - library fines are the worst! The whole reason I utilize my library is to read books for free. So it irks me to no end when I forget to return a book or don't plan my reading accordingly so that I can finish a book before it's due. Here's to fewer fines in 2017!

Do you have any reading resolutions for this year? If you would like a little direction, check out the 2017 Reading Challenge from Modern Mrs. Darcy or the 2017 Reading Challenge from Better World Books!

(image sources 12, 345)

2 comments:

  1. I am so thankful that my library doesn't charge late fees! I had an book that I was so late with they sent me a letter saying I had 30 days to return it or pay for a replacement before they would seek legal action! Ahhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to read this.Thank you so much for sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete