Tuesday, June 2, 2015

On Judging a Book By Its Cover


I do this thing where I totally judge a book by its cover. And I do mean, I literally choose which books I'm going to read by how much I love the cover and/or the title. Don't get me wrong - I look over bestseller lists and read reviews when I'm in search of a new book to read, but if the cover doesn't strike my fancy, chances are I won't be inclined to pick it up.

I have to admit that a lot of times this works out great for me. I read a lot of books that I really, really love. But recently, this completely backfired. I agreed to read and review Elsa Schiaparelli, the biography of the Italian fashion designer. She and Coco Chanel were prominent fashion figures between the World Wars., and as such, were considered rivals. I read a fascinating biography on Chanel several years ago, and I was hoping this biography on Schiaparelli would be similar. I also really loved the cover of this book! It looked so fun and whimsical, and the pink definitely caught my eye.

But I could just not get into this book! It was so dry, and it read like a very dull history book. It is also really long, which makes it a daunting read when you're not even enjoying it. Rarely do I start a book and not finish it, but I could just not make myself continue. So, I've learned my lesson. Not all books with a catchy cover will prove to be a good read :)

Disclosure: I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review. Obviously this post is 100% my own opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment