Monday, January 20, 2014

Orange & Chocolate Buttermilk Scones



Weekends are lovely, aren't they? For me a perfect weekend blends relaxation and productivity together in a way that leaves me feeling refreshed by the time Sunday evening rolls around, but also not guilty for wasting two days of my life doing nothing. The ideal way for me to blend the two together is to bake something that I would otherwise not have time to bake during the week. This past weekend it was orange + chocolate buttermilk scones. I woke up Saturday morning and needed a delicious breakfast treat. These fresh-out-of-the-oven scones were my late breakfast/early lunch and started my weekend off just right. Hope yours was also wonderful!

Orange & Chocolate Buttermilk Scones
1 1/2 cups flour
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp orange zest
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
6 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp cold buttermilk
1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)

Place rack in the upper third of oven and heat to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In a mixing bowl, mix together sugar and orange zest until fragrant. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and mix together. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. In another bowl, combine egg yolk and buttermilk and beat lightly with a fork. Add to flour mixture all at once, stirring enough to make a soft dough. Fold in the chocolate chips.

Turn out onto floured board and knead about 15 times. Roll or pat into a 1-inch thickness. Cut into 4 large or 6 small wedges. Separate and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. Serve immediately.

source: recipe slightly adapted from joy the baker

3 comments:

  1. nice! and i still love that plate :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gave me the best scone recipe I have ... now I will have to try this one too!

    ReplyDelete