Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Words I Like: On Cooking


As I was busy in the kitchen making pies last night, this passage that I love came to my mind.  More cooking is probably happening this week than any other week of the year, so I thought it would be fitting to share:

"But while cooking demands your entire attention, it also rewards you with endlessly sensual pleasures. The sound of water skittering across leaves of lettuce.  The thump of the knife against watermelon, and the cool summer scent the fruit releases as it falls open to reveal its deep red heart.  The seductive softness of chocolate beginning to melt from solid to liquid.  The tug of the sauce against the spoon when it thickens in the pan, and the lovely lightness of Parmesan drifting from the grater in gossamer flakes.  Time slows down in the kitchen, offering up an entire universe of small satisfactions." - Ruth Reichl, in Garlic and Sapphires

(image from here)

8 comments:

  1. I enjoy the results of baking indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that really is a soothing way to think of cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh i loved this. described the rewards from cooking quite well. looking forward to readying my stuffing and chocolate pecan pie tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that quote - Ruth Reichl is such a great writer. I don't recognize that title - is it new? I need to read it! Have fun making pies & Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is why I love cooking - it slows life down. Thank you for sharing these beautiful words!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that! I need to read that book! Happy Thanksgiving, sherri!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't agree more, time spent at the kitchen is never waste, I relax, enjoy what I'm doing and let myself go with the smell.
    Happy late thanks giving!
    You have a great blog
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete